Top 25 Wild Bird Photographs of the Week #13

Advances in digital photography have given us the opportunity to capture the beauty and freedom of birds in the wild like never before. In January 2011, the Wild Bird Trust set up a Facebook page with the intention of celebrating free flight and birds in the wild from around the world. Here are the “Top 25 Wild Bird Photographs of the Week” drawn from thousands of photographs submitted to the Wild Bird Trust. Each week we select from all the photographs submitted and from our archives. Almost 18,000 photographs from over 100 photographers from around the world have been emailed to us or posted on our Facebook wall so far… Celebrate the freedom and splendor of birds in the wild with us and stimulate positive change by sharing how beautiful the birds of the world really are with the world…

Please join the Wild Bird Trust page on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to receive all wild bird photo updates and join the Wild Bird Revolution. Submit your own photos and become part of this important public awareness campaign to bring the magic of wild birds to the world. Prepare to be blown away every week…

Neal Cooper
A moment in time captured forever! Malachite kingfisher diving into the water. Simply amazing! (Neal Cooper)
Lennart Hessel
Common goldeneyes are found in the lakes and rivers of boreal forests across Canada and the northern United States, Scandinavia and northern Russia. (Lennart Hessel)
Anthony Roberts
Southern ground hornbill is the largest hornbill on earth. They are threatened throughout their range outside of protected areas. See: http://www.fitzpatrick.uct.ac.za/pdf/Project_GroundHornbill.pdf (Anthony Roberts)
Nina Stavlund
Prothonotary warblers breed in the hardwood swamps of extreme southeastern Ontario and the eastern United States. They are the only eastern warbler that nests in natural or artificial cavities. (Nina Stavlund)
Art Wolfe / Art Wolfe Stock
A close-up of the wing feathers of a Scarlet Macaw show the beautiful array of colors these birds display. (Art Wolfe / Art Wolfe Stock)
Kevin MacDonald
The illusive and enigmatic Pel's fishing owl of sub-Saharan Africa. A rare sighting along Africa's waterways... (Kevin MacDonald)
Adam Riley / www.rockjumperbirding.com
An amazing flock of African skimmers zooming past the photographer in Loango National Park (Gabon) (Adam Riley / www.rockjumperbirding.com)
Anthony Roberts
Lappet-faced vulture perched proudly in the Kruger National Park (South Africa). Like most vultures they are threatened throughout their range by livestock farming, poison and food shortages. (Anthony Roberts)
Geir Jensen
White-throated dippers are a unique aquatic passerine found in Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia and the Indian Subcontinent. When disturbed the young, when hardly feathered, will at once drop into the water and dive... (Geir Jensen)
Neal Cooper
Orange-breasted sunbird and a honeybee square off over a protea flower. A stunning scene from a sunny day in the Western Cape (South Africa). (Neal Cooper)
Anthony Roberts
African fish eagle flying high above the clouds... The freedom of unassisted flight is an advancement equal to all the human achievements to date... (Anthony Roberts)
Adam Riley / www.rockjumperbirding.com
Imperial shag on Saunder's Island in the Falklands. They are native to many subantarctic islands, the Antarctic Peninsula and southern South America, primarily in rocky coastal regions, but locally also at large inland lakes. (Adam Riley / www.rockjumperbirding.com)
Mark Drysdale
Southern masked weavers are very widespread in southern Africa and are found in a wide range of habitats. (Mark Drysdale)
Adam Riley / www.rockjumperbirding.com
The striolated puffbird is a little-known species in the Bucconidae family that is found in the southwestern Amazon Basin in Brazil, Peru and Bolivia. Photographed here in Rio Cristalino (Brazil) (Adam Riley / www.rockjumperbirding.com)
Adam Riley / www.rockjumperbirding.com
Snowy sheathbill in St Andrews Bay on South Georgia Island (Antarctic). They are omnivores that specialize in kleptoparasitism, stealing krill and fish from penguins - sometimes even eating their eggs and down-covered chicks. Sheathbills also eat carrion, feces, invertebrates and, where available, human waste. (Adam Riley / www.rockjumperbirding.com)
Rodnick Biljon
Cape parrots are among the most radiant parrots on earth, seeming to shine in the sunlight. There are in the region of 1,000 remaining in the wild and the species requires urgent conservation investment. (Rodnick Biljon)
John Paterson
The Atlantic yellow-nosed albatross is considered to be an endangered species due to dramatic declines in the last seventy years. (John Paterson)
Neal Cooper
Lanner falcon swooping down at the water's edge. They breed in Africa, as well as southeast Europe and neighboring parts of Asia. (Neal Cooper)
Mark Drysdale
The African pygmy-kingfisher is distributed widely in Africa south of the Sahara... (Mark Drysdale)
Geir Jensen
European robins are found across Europe, east to Western Siberia, and south to North Africa. They are sedentary in most of their range, except the far north where it becomes too cold. (Geir Jensen)
Michele Nel
Marico sunbirds are found in Angola, Botswana, Burundi, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. (Michele Nel)
Ronald Krieger
Kori bustards are native to Africa and are considered to be the heaviest bird capable of flight. (Ronald Krieger)
Anja Denker
Blue waxbill holding up a piece of grass covered in flowers in the wind. Just beautiful! (Anja Denker)
Antero Topp
The Willow Ptarmigan's scientific name, Lagopus lagopus is derived from Ancient Greek lagos "hare" and pous "foot" in reference to the bird's feathered feet which allow it to negotiate frozen ground. Here photographed in Kuusamo (Finland). (Antero Topp)
Suranjan Mukherjee
The Chaffinch was so named for its tendency to peck the grain left out in farmyards... (Suranjan Mukherjee)

See the last “Top 25 Wild Bird Photographs of the Week” blog post on National Geographic News Watch:

Link: http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/05/04/top-25-wild-bird-photographs-of-the-week-12/

The Wild Bird Trust was founded in South Africa in August 2009 with the primary objective of keeping birds safe in the wild. The trust aims to encourage the use of flagship endangered bird species as “ecosystem ambassadors” in their indigenous habitat. The trust focusses on linking ordinary people with conservation action in the field through innovative marketing campaigns and brand development. Saving Africa’s birds is going to take a determined effort from all of us.

The main aims and objectives of the Wild Bird Trust are to:

• To advance the research in, education about and conservation of all birds in the wild as well as the related habitat.
  • Focus will be placed primarily on African species that act as ecosystem and biodiversity indicators although other species and geographical areas will be considered as well.
  • To work with all interested and involved parties including government, private sector, NGOs, education and research institutions, aviculture and bird-watching sectors without losing objectivity and independence.

In the pursuit of these aims and objectives the Wild Bird trust works closely with relevant local and international entities and persons, including: government authorities; educational institutions; conservation organizations; and avicultural organizations. The trust is funded entirely by its founder members, charitable donations and conservation grants.

See: http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2011/12/16/upholi-want-a-forest-rescuing-africas-most-endangered-parrot-from-extinction/

See the Africa Birds & Birding Facebook page for amazing bird photography from Africa! https://www.facebook.com/Africa.Birds.Birding

Comments

1. parisa
    iran
    November 1, 2013, 5:32 am

hi,
    I really like this pictures. may you help me how can I share this pictures on fb or by email with a friend???????

2. Jehanzeb
    pakistan
    June 2, 2012, 5:48 am

I like all pictures.I love very much birds.

3. sagar
    India
    May 27, 2012, 3:03 am

nice photography sir
    thank you for providing me this great photos
    these are very interesting and wonder to see
    thanks sooo much national geography

4. Rahul Gaykwad
    Pune India.
    May 26, 2012, 10:44 am

Oh My God This is very Nice Images…and love this so much,,
    Hve Nice Day,,…Sir.

5. MARCELA MTZ. C.
    MEXICO, D.F.
    May 24, 2012, 7:54 pm

I WOULD LIKE TO RECEIVE MORE PHOTOS . THEY ARE SO BEAUTIFUL. CONGRATULATIONS.

6. [...] Link: http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/05/14/top-25-wild-bird-photographs-of-the-week-13/ [...]

7. SEKAR SUNDARAM
    Chennai, India
    May 23, 2012, 1:42 am

Excellent Photograph, Live Looking & Superb collection

8. mohamed ibrahem sad
    egypt
    May 22, 2012, 12:50 pm

HI

wonderful pictures i will try o draw it

9. [...] Top 25 Wild Bird Photographs of the Week #13. Share this:TwitterFacebookGillaGillaBli först att gilla 22/05/2012 by hrantell | Lämna en kommentar [...]

10. [...] set up a Facebook page with the intention of celebrating free flight and birds … Read more on National Geographic Posted in Wild Bird | Tags: Hummingbirds, inviting, Making, orioles, [...]

11. supat p.
    Bangkok,Thailand
    May 17, 2012, 12:37 pm

I’m so glad with all clarification both myself and Mr.Isael Momin, thank you so much Dr.Steve and could you pls. add my photograph of the blue-throated barbet published in the next “Top 25″ I ‘m also promise you to send more bird to you soon when i’m relaing from my work. Thank a lot for everthing sir.

Best regard,
    supat p.

12. Steve Boyes
    May 17, 2012, 10:58 am

Hi Shirell, Apologies. The error has been corrected. We look forward to the next cover photo:) This could become a regular insert for the Wild Bird Trust page and “Top 25″. Thanks so much! All the best, Dr Steve Boyes

13. Shirell Lynch
    South Africa
    May 17, 2012, 8:25 am

Hi Steve,

Just a note, the cover photo was provided by myself (Shirell Lynch), not Michele Nel :) Thanks.

14. Israel Momin
    India
    May 15, 2012, 10:43 am

Steve Boyes,
    Thank you for clearing my name but the scar remained.
    I love nature photography and sharing it with people around the world. I find this site very inspiring and stimulating as one gets to so see so many exotic different species of birds around the world.

Regards
    Israel.

15. Steve Boyes
    May 15, 2012, 7:14 am

This is a Wild Bird Trust initiative to share beautiful photographs of wild birds with as many people around the world is possible.

I have found the cause: admin error. Mr Israel Momin posted an image of a blue-throated barbet in India the day after Naa Luck Supatsrn posted his series of photos from Thailand. This is an error and no one has done anything wrong.The photograph has now been removed.

Mr Momin is commended for this great photograph.

Mr Supat: Would you like your photograph of the blue-throated barbet published in the next “Top 25″?

Kind regards,
    Dr Steve Boyes

16. Israel Momin
    India
    May 15, 2012, 6:52 am

Dear Steve Boyes,

Furthermore, this is the message I received from Mr. Supat in my FB message in exact format :( start of message )
    “Hi i do apologized you also for misunderstood, if so hope you assist me in fact finding. Actually, i posted this picture in the name of Naa Luck Supatsrn which I think they (editorial staffs of NG) shall not confuse about the owner. By the way I already send my notification to them, it sound good if you ‘ll also help me on this. Thank you and sorry again.( End of message )
    In other words I am sending you the proof. You can verify this with Mr. Supat. Now please, would you clear from your side ?

regards
    Israel.

17. Israel Momin
    India
    May 15, 2012, 5:49 am

Dear Steve Boyes,

I came to know about this allegations of stealing Mr Supat’s photograph when I received his private message in my facebook account this morning. i don’t have any clue about this. He should have atleast verified the facts before alleging me of this shameful behaviour. He even alleged on his facebook main page also. Please find out who the culprit is, who put my name deliberately to defame me and my family for no fault of mine. Further you mentioned that I have been banned from posting further in this website etc. I am sure that you and your management will not do this unjustice to me or to anybody without verifying the facts. I am in no way part of any Newschannel or some magazine to select anybody’s photo. Please look into it and do the justice because my name has been dragged as thief, unthetical, shameless ect etc. I am going through a mental agony at this juncture.

Regards,
    Israel/

18. supat p.
    Bangkok, Thailand
    May 15, 2012, 3:43 am

Dear Dr.Steve Boyes

Thank you so much for promptly response to my concerns
    regarding the the mistake of posted the bird photo. I get in touch Mr. Isarel Momin- via his facebook , he said he know nothing about this. I’m not sure it’s a system error or people error. Anyway, I very much appreciate your prompt concern and already remove the picture from your latest list of Top 25 bird photos #13.
    I also happy to contribute and share my simple bird photos as per your advice thru your email. Even though my photos didin’t good somehow, but I love to do bird photograph every time I free from work.
    Thank you again for your clarification, hope to hear from you soon.
    Best regard
    Supat P.
    Bangkok,Thailand

ps.
    below is communication message :

Dear Supat,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We contact each photographer before posting their photographs and accept what they say in good faith. Israel Momin has been banned from any further submissions and your photograph has been removed from the blog. Our deepest apologies.

It would be wonderful if you could submit your bird photographs to the Wild Bird Trust for consideration for the “Top 25 Wild Bird Photographs of the Week”. The barbet photograph is amazing! All you have to do is send low resolution copies of some of your best photographs to steve@wildbirdtrust.com and we will establish an album for you on our Facebook page. See Adam Riley’s album as an example: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.347956735247470.79046.197215716988240&type=3

The “Top 25″ is an initiative of the Wild Bird Trust aimed at celebrating the freedom and splendor of birds in the wild with as many people as possible. We get messages and emails everyday from people who have been able to appreciate the colors, beauty and vitality of wild birds for the first time. We hope that you can be part of this campaign.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could post a comment on the National Geographic News Watch blog, stating that this has been sorted out: http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2012/05/14/top-25-wild-bird-photographs-of-the-week-13/

You are an amazing photographer and we would be honored to host an album of your beautiful photographs.

Kind regards,
    Dr Steve Boyes

19. Shona
    South Africa
    May 15, 2012, 3:12 am

Fabulous to see, thank you :-)

20. Steve Boyes
    May 15, 2012, 1:23 am

It is not permissible to post photographs that are not your own to the Wild Bird Trust for consideration for the “Top 25 Wild Bird Photographs of the Week” blog. No further submissions will be considered unless sent to us via email, checked for authenticity, and then posted on social media by us. Any contributor that does not do this will be banned from all social media profiles and our website. Illegal submissions undermine everything we are trying to do. Shame on those who steal from the photographers that had the patience to get these amazing images.

21. supat p.
    Bangkok, Thailand
    May 14, 2012, 3:30 pm

The Blue-throated barbets picture (the link below) is my original photograph which was taken at Kaeng Krachan National Park in Thailand by myself last week.
    But Mr. Israel Momin, the Indian guy stole my picture to be himself with unshamed on this behavior. Even though he have this specie also in his place but not in this action at all.
    How to do with this kind of person whose never think of privacy/ethical conducted at all. If you like to see my original raw file, I do have it.

The thing is how we chase out this kind of people from the digitalized photographic world. Now I do also the contributor of the Internet Bird Collection Spain-based (http://ibc.lynxeds.com) my log-in is (p.supat) you can see my photos there. But for Mr. Indian I don’t have his profile on this.

Regard,
    supat p.

Blue-throated barbets are found across the Indian Subcontinent and Southeast Asia. These colorful cavity-nesting birds are always a treat to see! Here photographed in Meghalaya (India).
    Israel Momin

22. [...] Top 25 Wild Bird Photographs of the Week #13National GeographicAdvances in digital photography have given us the opportunity to capture the beauty and freedom of birds in the wild like never before. In January 2011, the Wild Bird Trust set up a Facebook page with the intention of celebrating free flight and birds … [...]

23. Jacob Msangi.
    Arusha Tanzania
    May 14, 2012, 9:56 am

Is the Great Blog. Good Job.