In celebration of both the beauty of the oceans and their significant role in sustaining life on Earth, these living institutions will host a number of festivities to highlight the critical role marine waters play in promoting and maintaining a healthy planet.
If you can’t visit your local aquarium or zoo in person, you can still participate by visiting their website or by visiting the World Oceans Day website. By taking the World Oceans Day pledge, your local aquarium and zoo staff hope that you will commit to keeping seas and oceans clean and healthy by doing the following:
- Using environmentally friendly cleaning products that don’t harm the environment
- Eating certified sustainable seafood
- Recycling plastic bottles and disposing of garbage appropriately
- Saying ‘no’ to single use plastic bags
Seventy-one percent of the Earth is covered by either seas or oceans, and as mentioned on the World Oceans Day website, they provide the following services and benefits to our global environment:
- Generate most of the oxygen we breathe
- Help feed us
- Regulate our climate
- Clean the water we drink
- Offer us a pharmacopoeia of potential medicines
- Provide limitless inspiration!