New Timelapse Video: Comet Dances with Auroras

An amazing astronomy video is making the rounds on the web this week showing comet PanSTARRS joined by a magnificent display of northern lights. Veteran astrophotographer Babak Tafreshi has trained his camera lens on a unique convergence of two cosmic events: the display of the icy visitor nearly 200 million of kilometers distant and the particularly haunting appearance of the aurora borealis.

PanSTARRS complete with its sweeping tail of gas and dust can be seen sinking quickly down toward the mountain range after nightfall just as the first hints of a  twisting and winding light display kicks in, filling the crisp and cold skies. The beautiful footage was taken on the night of March 20, 2013 over the fjord near Tromso, Norway.

Comet auroa

Comments

1. Debra Tate
    April 14, 2013, 7:02 pm

I lived in Alaska for 3 years and was just awe struck every time I saw the lights! Ice fog also! Driving in ice fog at night is like someone sprinkling sliver glitter in the car lights! They are both amazing to see and I will never forget their beauty. I hope someday to return and see them again.

2. Nilufa Nizar
    dubai
    April 13, 2013, 5:27 am

Thank you, to the photographer and National Geographic,
    It impresses our mind and curiosity.
    First time in my life to know and see about “Comet Aurora Arboreal”

3. Jenny
    Philippines
    April 12, 2013, 7:00 pm

Simple things are highly appreciated. Thank you for sharing.

4. Manali zaveri
    India
    April 11, 2013, 5:25 pm

Wow, what a fabulous spectrum of neon lights that lit up the sky. I think this video also witnessed a shooting star. Just amazing is the beauty of our cosmos, it always surprises us and taunts our intellects to explore the unknown. Sure! It impresses our minds and curiosity intensifies with more moments such as this–Auroras.

5. Maria Luisa Alvarez
    aguascalientes México
    April 11, 2013, 5:00 pm

Belleza! Impresionante. Beautiful.

6. mª carmen romero
    spain
    April 11, 2013, 4:05 pm

its beautiful, the wonders of space.

7. Michele Iannone
    Bari - ITALY
    April 11, 2013, 9:37 am

A big thankyou to National Geographic and, of course,
    to the fotographer.
    It has been the first time in my life, I saw and I understood how is the “aurora boreale”. .

8. Shirley
    Texas.
    April 11, 2013, 5:00 am

SO BEAUTIFUL, AND I BELIEVE THE HEAVENS ARE DANCING WITH THE ANGELS AND MAKING A JOYFUL NOISE UNTO ADOHNI ( The LORD) PRAISE YESHUA’S HOLY NAME.. BLESSED BE HIS NAME IN ALL THE HEAVENS AND EARTH.. AMEN..

9. Matt McCardle
    Scottish Borders
    April 11, 2013, 2:33 am

Did it require the soundtrack, which detracted from the beauty of the visuals…. sometimes silence is enough

10. Kiran mariet
    Manglore
    April 11, 2013, 12:57 am

It’s simply fantabulous …

11. Anthony
    California
    April 7, 2013, 12:34 pm

Simply beautiful. I will be posting this on my blog. I am now following this blog. Glad I stumbled onto it.

12. Bulent Atalay
    Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA
    April 7, 2013, 1:35 am

Please disregard my earlier note. I sent it before finishing it.
    This is a spectacular video. The great German physicist, Werner Heiseberg (Nobel 1931) once remarked, “Never underestimate how much pleasure it gives a man to see what he already knows.” Your blog juxtaposes a pair of topics close to my heart. I’ve visited Tromso twice and have wonderful memories of the area. Moreover, in making calculations in my University Physics classes on Cerenkov Radiation as the result of cosmic radiation trapped in the earth’s magnetic field, I frequently introduced Northern Lights as a dramatic example. Thank you for sharing this dramatic video. (Again, please trash my earlier note, submitted essentially by accident.)