Wanna Be a Marine Biologist? Here’s How

Maddalena photographing bowriding bottlenose dolphin
The author photographs a bowriding bottlenose dolphin. Credit: Maddalena Bearzi

“Oh my God! You study dolphins… How cool…!”

I can’t begin to say how many times I’ve heard this. It seems what I do is something many people dream about. The adventurous, romantic life of a marine biologist, out in the elements, investigating the lives of these magnificent creatures in the freedom of the vast ocean…

I am fortunate indeed, and I wouldn’t exchange my life and career for anything. But people don’t often realize what goes into the job. For every hour I log at sea, there are probably at least five to spend in the lab back on land. The work is as long and hard as it’s rewarding, both on and off the water, but the many hours passed hunched over a desk as the clock ticks late into the night, analyzing, writing, correcting, rewriting, are where the less committed tend to weed themselves out of the vocation… (Excerpted from my book Dolphin Confidential: Confessions of a Field Biologist)

The number of emails, phone calls, and Facebook messages I receive has diminished a little in the last years, but they continue to come with regularity. They are not only from students; they are from people in all walks of life interested in finding out how to become marine biologists. After spending over two decades with volunteers and researchers both in the field and the lab, I believe that many don’t really know what it takes to get into and to stay in this field.

Here is my token of advice for the aspiring marine biologists out there. These are only my opinions, and of course, nothing is written in stone, but perhaps interested parties may be able to adapt some of these steps and suggestions to fit their own lives and circumstances.

First Steps

The first key question one should ask oneself is “what am I really interested in?” Here is where it gets confusing because when people question me about becoming a marine biologist they usually picture a field marine researcher, maybe because that is my specialty.

Marine biology, in a nutshell, is the study of marine organisms, their behaviors, and interactions with the environment.  It includes many different sub-disciplines and, consequently, an array of potential career directions. Would you like to be a microbiologist, an aquarist, a behavioral ecologist, a system analyst, a geneticist, a professor, or perhaps some combination of these? There are many roads to choose from and many organizations that hire marine biologists, so having a fairly precise idea of what you would like to do is an important first step in the right direction.

The author looks for dolphins and birds from the bow of a research ship
The author looks for dolphins and birds from the bow of a research ship. Photo courtesy of Maddalena Bearzi

Dolphin ConfidentialThe next step is to ask yourself what really fascinates you about the ocean. Are you passionate about biodiversity on coral reefs or algal blooms?  Is the structure of soft-bottom communities what inspires you or the feeding behavior of critically endangered blue whales?  Try to construct a “big picture” of what captivates you then narrow down your focus to explore something that is feasible, either in the lab or the field.

But don’t lose sight of your big picture. Not getting roped into a “specialization” has the advantage of keeping you flexible and more responsive to a challenging and changing job market. Your first topic of choice may, later on, morph into your real career, but that’s not always the case and may not necessarily be the best road to take.

It’s important to concentrate attention on unanswered questions more than on a specific species. It’s also a good idea to be practical in your choice of a subject by giving some thought to where and how you plan to accomplish your studies. It’s imperative, whatever your topic of choice, that you are passionate about it because it is passion that will help you accomplish what you set out to do, even if it takes pushing your limits.

Whatever you choose to study, you should keep conservation in mind given the current range of environmental issues facing our oceans and their inhabitants. What will the cetologist engaged in studying the migration of right whales do if these leviathans disappear within his or her lifetime?

Next Steps

Read, write and get experience. Its’ unlikely you can read all there is to know in this discipline but try to know as much as you can. Do your homework, peruse the Internet in search of information (not blogs only), read books and, if you can’t afford to buy them, go to the library.

Study how scientific papers are written because this will likely be the output of your studies in the future. Seek advice and help in the academic world or through research institutions. Learn how to communicate science! Being a great communicator will help you advance faster and further in a marine biology career, and may help you reach out to the general public about marine conservation issues if the need arises.

Solid practical experience in your field—or a field related to it—is certainly key to becoming a marine biologist. Being involved with different projects, working on diverse hypotheses and learning about different species and processes also helps keep an open mind while gaining experience beyond your selected subject.

Volunteer opportunities are offered everywhere today and are easily found, thanks to the Internet. If you work well and are adaptable, if you’re willing to commit, if you are enthusiastic, you might slip from being a volunteer into acting as a real researcher. You may even find the opportunity to write a collaborative peer-reviewed paper, something that will help you when entering graduate school.

When choosing a volunteer position in your field, inquire to see who are the experts in that specific discipline. Try to work under the wings of these professionals and ask questions, get feedback and suggestions on how to improve your skills; this will help you get the right kind of experience.

Traditional academic education is important and going to graduate school, first a Master’s program and then a Ph.D., is certainly the way to go, especially if your goal is remain in academia. As a start, take all the science courses available to you in high school and as an undergraduate. Preparatory courses in basic biology, zoology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics are essential, but other courses such as ichthyology, conservation, and oceanography are also quite valuable, as well as those related to your specific field. Then there’s the study of statistics; this is something you must know and be good at and no, you can’t get around it.

School, however, won’t teach you everything you need to know to gain knowledge and expertise in your chosen field. You need to look outside the box and find other ways to learn and acquire practical skills. Attending conferences and workshops in your discipline, visiting universities, museums, and research institutions, meeting experts in your subject area (who could become your advisors later on) and asking questions, being part of email list serves in your topic of interest are just some of the things to pursue.

Maddalena Bearzi in the field with video camera.
The author in the field. Photo courtesy of Maddalena Bearzi

One Step Further…

Distinguish yourself as an independent thinker. Many people want to become marine biologists and that makes this a highly competitive discipline. A lot of people start toward a career in marine biology but end up working in completely different fields and almost everyone is struggling to find a job in today’s tough market. If you have chosen to be a marine biologist it is likely you haven’t done it for the money—as there isn’t much in it anyway—so you need to be creative and flexible. Look for something that your field is in need of, something that your peers are not offering. Learn practical skills like scuba diving, boat handling, GIS techniques, and statistical analyses that just a few know. Push yourselves to work better than everyone else.

The desire to study dolphins in the wild is probably not enough to take you out to sea among these amazing creatures or set you apart from the masses. It’s passion, enthusiasm, and learning what’s necessary to make you stand above the crowd that will help you attain your goals.

Maddalena Bearzi has a Ph.D. in biology and has studied the ecology and conservation of marine mammals and other species for over twenty-five years. Maddalena is co-founder and president of the Ocean Conservation Society and coauthor of Beautiful Minds: The Parallel Lives of Great Apes and Dolphins (Harvard University Press, 2008). Her most recent book is called Dolphin Confidential: Confessions of a Field Biologist (Chicago University Press, 2012).

Comments

1. Sabrina Lewis
    St.Catherine, Jamaica
    August 23, 12:45 pm

I am currwently pursuing an environmental biology degree at the University of The West Indies in Jamaica. I have done numerous volunteer for Jamaica Environmental Trust, National Environmental Planning Agency (NEPA), Urban Development Corporation (UDC), Discovery Bay Marine Lab , Port Royal Marine Lab and University of The West Indies Research Day in which I participated in the ICCD, mangrove replanting and demonstrating of marine species. My degree allow me to do internship in the summer. However, my biggest problem is even though doing all these volunteering I still dont know what to do my master in or what specifically i need to do as a job.

2. Harry
    Georgia, USA
    August 23, 12:28 pm

Hello,

Just want to start off by saying that your article was very well written and drove my interest in marine biology further! I was wondering if there is a branch of marine biology that studies the behavior of marine animals? Not necessarily things like migration behaviors of animals, but actual emotional behaviors. What interests me most about marine biology is the relationships you can make between yourself and the vast wildlife under the ocean, and I was wondering how you thought I could pursue that? Maybe I am thinking of the wrong career? Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from you!

Harry

3. Violet
    August 21, 6:44 am

Hi .. I read your article and in one place it says tat one needs to know mathematics too .. and has to be good at statistics. . I am currently in 11th grade n my subjects include physics , chemistry, Biology , computer and English. . Do I have change my subjects to include maths n statistics ? I’m really not good at math will that effect me to persuade a future as marine biologist ? What should I do about that ? Should I take up a different course for math and statistics?

August 21, 12:31 pm

You don’t need to change anything now and, by the way, I wasn’t great at math either at your age…

4. Sylvia Tubbs
    Nampa, Idaho/San Diego
    August 19, 4:06 pm

Hello, my granddaughter is 12 yrs old and for the last couple of years has been talkin about becoming a Marine Biologist. Elena’s favorite classes are the sciences. Can you please suggest a book that describes the field for someone her age that describs the pros and cons at a 12 yr old level, it seems like every career choise has to do with science, so I would like to find a book with a CD that can at least show what the field entails. Thank you for you time, I look forward to your response.Sicerely Sylvia

August 19, 6:24 pm

Just to give her an idea, she can read “Sea Life Scientist” (Compass Point Books Ed.). She is a little young but a great Marine Biology book is “Marine Biology” by Castro and Huber (McGraw-Hill Ed.).

5. Cameron
    July 27, 6:19 pm

Great info and advice of how to be a marine scientist. Ever since I was really little I wanted to be one. I still want to be one. But I had two strokes when I was little. My parents think college will be to hard they will not let me go to college. I’ve had a hard journey to my marine science. I volunteer at my state science museum for thirteen years. So I have created a blog to help people like me get into marine science. Show handicap people that they can do citizen science, volunteer, read, take classes, etc. and manly just talk about marine science.
    With the museum I have gone on trips to look for sea turtles nesting, bird catching and tagging and release, etc. I

6. lakmini
    sri lanka
    July 6, 4:54 am

Hello mam.I’m 20 yrs old.I studied biology,physics and chemistry for my higher education.how can I become a marine biologist.I love to study marine biology and become a biologist.can u help me.in my country there is no courses for marine biology in universities.so I have to abroad.please help me

7. Jose Trinidad
    July 2, 2:22 pm

Hi Maddalena,
    I’m currently assisting to my last year of high school, and as someone who has aspired to be a marine biologist since a very young age I have found it difficult to choose an undergraduate program. What do you think is a good bachelor’s degree to start with?

8. Deetz
    Indiana
    July 1, 8:59 pm

Hey, I am 15 about to be a sophomore in high school and I’ve known I want to be a marine biologist for the longest time… I know this is what I want to do and I’ve been reading and studying for as long as I can remember. I’ve researched what to study to further pursue this, but some advice from an expert like yourself would be tremendous! (such as what to study throughout the rest of high school and college) also further information would be amazing!

9. Rohitha
    July 1, 3:14 am

Hi mam,I have just completed my post graduation in Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology . And I am very much ineterested to become a marine biologist .Could you suggest me how to?

10. Daniel McAdam
    United Kingdom
    June 22, 6:52 pm

Hey, I’m a 17 year old from Scotland with a huge passion for working with cognitive neurology of cetaceans, It’s a very specific goal I understand, but it’s the intelligence of these animals is what drives my ambition to wish to study them.

The only unfortunate thing is I live in Scotland, and in my area there isn’t many, if any at all, opportunities for voluntary work in this field. What would you suggest I go before I apply for a Zoology course as University next year, and am I being a bit unrealistic with such a specific goal this early on in my education? I’m thinking along the lines of Lori Marino and similar work to Denise Herzing.

Also, how would you suggest I study in university? Do I take multiple courses along with zoology? (e.g. Neurology, anatomy, ecology, psychology (maybe?))

Thanks in advance for any reply, Daniel.

11. Ameera
    Malaysia
    June 20, 5:56 am

Hello. I’m Ameera and 16 years old and I’m having a tough time choosing what career and study field should I choose when I graduate. I want to be an archaeologist but at the same time, I somehow love to be near the sea and impressed, curious at the same time at what lives under the clear blue sea. through the years of my high school, I’m not that professional and I have less knowledge about the marine life than my brother,. who knows almost everything about it. I love to watch marine life tv shows at discovery channel and national geographic. I’m like really impressed when scientist found a fish that should be extinct in the deep ocean.

12. EJ
    Sebring, Florida
    June 16, 9:17 pm

Hey! I’m 14 years old, I have been in love with the sea all of my life. I was born in St. Augustine and I have so much knowledge about fishing, and the ocean. I am going into the 9th grade and I want to know what classes I am going to need to take to endure the knowledge required for a marine biologist. I know marine biology is not a extremely high paying field, but money is not what I am worried about. I don’t want to be stranded with a job that I do not like, I want to do what I love! My parents tell me marine biologists do not make good money. So what? I want to go to the UF and hopefully get my bachelors degree. My ideal places to work are the Bahamas or Florida. I am aware that this field is extremely hard to get into. I do in fact believe that I have the correct mindset and knowledge to achieve this job soon.

Thank you.

13. Mahima
    June 14, 10:41 am

Hi, I really hope you respond. Is it possible to pursue a career in marine biology after completing a post-graduate course in biotechnology? And how are the career prospects?

June 14, 12:28 pm

Why don’t you get involved in the field of marine biotechnology? You can use skills that you already have. This is a field with lots of potentials. Good luck!

14. Alexa
    Ohio
    June 10, 12:28 pm

Hello, I am 15 years old and I have been dreaming of becoming a marine biologist in the last few years. I am really thankful I have found this information because I think that it will be very helpful for me in the future. I really want to be a marine biologist however there are many opsticles I have to face. One of the main problems I have is that I live in Ohio which is around 14 hours (or longer depending on what area) away from the ocean. This makes it difficult for me especially since I can’t do any volunteering or job shadowing. And if I were to become a marine biologist, I would have to move to an ocean and I would be away from all my friends and family. I’ve always dreamed of living near the ocean anyway but I don’t want to leave my family. I am still very passionate about marine life though and I would still face those problems to become a marine biologist. Every time I bring up that I want to be a marine biologist to my family, they always say that it would be too hard for me and that I will find something else I like that is easier. There really isn’t any other career that apeals to me as much as a marine biologist because I love the ocean life more than anything. So I don’t know what to say to my family when they think it’s too hard for me. If I were to be anything other than a marine biologist, I would most likely be an environmental scientist because I also have a passion for the environment. However I’m sure my family would say the same thing to me about that. For now I’m just not going to listen to what they say, and I’m going to continue on being as successful as possible so maybe one day I can become a marine biologist. Please tell me your opinions about what is happening with me. It would really make my day if you commented back to me 🙂

June 14, 12:24 pm

I know a great marine biologist who grew up in Ohio and didn’t go near the oceans until he was 20 years old. I grew up in different cities and I didn’t live close to the sea until I was almost 30 years old. That didn’t stop me to become a marine biologist. Continue to be passionate, read, be involved with conservation issues. The oceans affect everyone of us, even if you live in Ohio.

15. Utkarsha
    India(maharashtra)
    June 8, 4:14 am

Hi mam I am interested to be marine biologist but I can’t go to far for study is there any college in Maharashtra in kolhapur or Pune district please reply mi

16. gopika
    india
    June 5, 12:11 pm

Hello madam,I am gopika.my biggest dream is to become an under ocean photographer and now I have a keen interest to become a marine biologist,now I am on my 12 grade as bio-maths as subject .so what I have to study after 12 grade.please help me

June 5, 6:06 pm

Just continue with a good, general education for now… and keep your enthusiasm!

17. sejal
    india
    June 2, 2:53 pm

Thank u so much mam i wish nd m surely gonna wrk hrd with utmost zeal nd enthusiasm to bcm if nt a well paid bt yeah exprncd nd skillful marine biologist to meet u nd if possbl wrk undr u …..thanks mam ..urs sincerly sejal

18. 15nmoalin
    england,northamptons
    June 2, 11:45 am

hi
    I’m 12 years
    iv always wanted to be a marine biologist and I loved sealife and observing those types of stuff but I’m not to good at biology part so I was wondering if I should think about another career or just try harder

June 2, 12:57 pm

Try harder if you are really passionate about it.

19. Catherine
    Texas
    May 26, 12:46 pm

Hi my name is Catherine and im 14 years old. I absolutely love marine life! I love everything about the oceans, from coral reefs to the ocean floor! But i was wondering..Im home schooled and i dont know if the are any marine biologists out there that where home scooled too. I’m sure there are but where i am right now seems a little of a, how would i put it? My situation just seems to be a tree trunk on a one way road. Anyway i just want to know if that i should maybe try to study what i can now rather than waiting until im older. What do you think?

June 2, 12:56 pm

You can be home schooled and still become a marine biologist. It’s not a problem. Start to be involved with marine organizations as a volunteer (if you can). Read about marine biology, do your homework and continue to be passionate about the oceans.

20. sandeep
    mumbai india
    May 25, 6:52 am

HI
    I had completed my 12th grade in physics mathmatics chrmistry and electrical mainatanace I didnt had biology in my 12th grade but I studid biology in my 10th grade can I persui a carriar in wildlife conservation please reply me fast because within 1 or 2 month admmissions are going to be start and the seats will get filled please help me out and reply me on my Email

21. sejal
    india
    May 24, 8:01 am

Hy Maddalena Bearzi am sejal nd m 18 yrs old nd hv jst completed my 12th from medical side i lyk adventure revolving activities nd marine biology is facinating me these days am alwys attrctd by seas’ nd oceans’ lyf bt i lack d proper guidance could u pls suggst me how can i become a well paid marine biologist nd wht would i require for the same urs sincerely sejal
    ty i hope u rply soon ..

June 2, 12:52 pm

Hi Sejal, it all depends on your enthusiasm, the sub-field of marine biology, and how much you are willing to work to become a “well paid marine biologist”.

22. Parneet
    May 22, 12:08 pm

Right now i am pursuing my bachelor’s in Geology…. Can i pursue for marine biology in masters ?

June 2, 12:49 pm

Try to get some field experience as a volunteer for an organization involved with the oceans and their inhabitants. You can always switch!

23. Jessi
    May 19, 4:01 pm

Hi, I’m really passionate about Marine Biology. I want to pursue it more than anything. I’m about to go into my senior year of high school. If I fight for it, I don’t have to take a fourth year of math, and I really don’t want to. Not taking my fourth year of math would help me take other classes I need in order to graduate like health, Econ, and gym. I don’t think I will be able to take these other classes during the summer because of money issues. I was wondering if you would recommend taking the fourth year anyway. I believe that it is pre-calf or calculus. I understand that marine biology involves a lot of math and this would probably help but It would be a lot better for me if I didn’t have to take it. If skipping my fourth year will mess me up in college I would rather find a way to fit it in my schedule. I thought your opinion on it would be very helpful and I would appreciate it very much, thank you!

May 19, 6:49 pm

Hi Jessi, I am sure you won’t like my response but math is important if you are planning a marine biology career in academia or in the field.

24. Hazel
    NewZealand Christchurch
    May 15, 7:34 pm

Hi Maddalena Bearzi

My name is Hazel and I am 11 years old.
    I Was looking at websites to do with marine biology, and I found this one (I love reading this website.)
    And I have decided I want to be a marine biologist.
    Not for the Money but because I Have always
    -loved the ocean
    -Loved seeing Marine animals not just the big ones but the tiny ones as well.
    -Coral
    -And
    I really want this job when I’m the age because, I have mostly not fallen In love with the marine animals but also the coral.
    Because when I went to Fiji I got to see coral and fish and I loved it like crazy so, I would love to see it again. And doing something to help save the Marine in the ocean.

But I hate it when I see people plotting ,Killing or ruining the coral and the ocean.
    It’s Really sad That why I want to help.
    Seeing all the endanger species and the coral (getting crushed)seeing what they doing to them at the moment make my voice quiver up.
    At school I’m doing Maths, Extra Writing classes, Science, Technology And soon biology.
    so I have a higher chance of getting this job.
    I want to put all my passion up for this job and all the knowledge I learn for this job.
    I really want to know some tips and advice to get this job I am also really passionate for this job.
    Thanks for reading this Hazel

25. Desiree
    Dahlonega, GA
    May 14, 11:03 am

I am a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and now a cop. Ever since I could remember, I always wanted to do something within Marine biology. Unfortunately, my family didn’t have the money when I was young so I went to the military. Now that I am out and 22 years old, I wonder if it too late for me to even start my degree. I’d like to major in biology with an emphasis on marine bio. Any advice on someone who is older and has already been through school and such?

May 14, 2:20 pm

It’s not too late at all. Best of luck to you!

26. Hazel
    NewZealand Christchurch
    May 14, 12:39 am

Hi Maddalena Bearzi

My name is Hazel and I am 11 years old.
    And I have decided I want to be a marine biologist.
    Not for the Money but because I Have always
    -loved the ocean
    -Loved seeing Marine animals not just the big ones but the tiny ones as well.
    -Coral
    -And

It’s Really sad That why I want to help.
    so I have a higher chance of getting this job.

Thanks for reading this Hazel

May 14, 2:23 pm

Hi Hazel, please continue to be so enthusiastic and passionate about the oceans and their inhabitants. Read and learn about marine biology and conservation, volunteer for marine organizations (if you can), be a good student and share your passion with others. You are already on the right track.

27. Christopher Mi
    Hong Kong
    May 8, 9:59 am

Hi , I’m 16 years old , and interested in being a marine biologist as my future career . I grew up by the sea and have always been fascinated by how diverse the marine world is . I would like to know what I should start doing , what programs should I apply for and what it takes to be a marine biologist for National Geographics .

May 14, 2:26 pm

I suggest you to continue with a good, general education. Try to volunteer for a marine organization to get some field experience, read and learn as much as you can for now.

28. Calum
    Glasgow Scotland
    May 4, 3:38 pm

Hi I’m Calum, I’m 12 yrs old and for as long as I can remember I’ve loved the sea and I was looking into marine biology as I love the ocean and sharks an dolphins and everything about it really. But I was wondering what subjects I would need to take as I am about to go into 3rd year at secondary school?

29. katie
    Arkansas, US
    May 4, 2:44 pm

I loved this article. It really expressed the meaning of marine biology. All the marine life and dolphins, I’m thinking about becoming a marine biologist. That would be awesome.

30. katie
    Arkansas
    May 4, 2:41 pm

I want to be a marine biologist when I grow up. It sounds so cool. Everything this article has said inspired me. (and helped me with a research paper) All you marine biologists out there have fun at what you do.

31. Amanda
    Toronto
    May 3, 3:52 pm

Hi im the end of grade 11 and ive been really thinking about what career path i want to take im naturally gifted in the visual arts (drawing, photography, etc) but pursuing a carreer in zoology or marine biology is something that keeps coming back to me. I wanna help and contribute to making this world a better place, but i still want to be creative and working behind a desk doesnt sound vary a appealing to me, i want something that involves travelling as well.
    I know this isnt much of a question but do you have any suggestions on what i should do? Because im really stuck

32. Mandy C
    forest,va
    May 3, 9:46 am

Hi, i’m Mandy. i am 16 years old, and going to start 11th grade soon. I really want to be a shark biologist. I wanted to study sharks ever since i was 6. This coming up year i will be taking AP biology, and Pre-AP Chemistry. I would like to know what more I could do, and what steps I could take to become a Shark Biologist.

May 3, 11:56 am

For now, continue with a good, general education, read about sharks, conservation and marine biology in general, and be involve in volunteer work.

33. Prem
    May 3, 6:39 am

I am confused of my course. I have finished with my 12 grade. I am interested in fish and underwater life. So what course should I take?

May 3, 11:57 am

As I mentioned to many other students, just continue with a general education in a good school and, in the meantime, read about marine biology and your topic of interest.

34. Evan
    Coos Bay
    May 2, 7:58 pm

So I’m 13 years old and have wanted to be a marine biologist and have wanted to do this since I was 7. I really have my mind set on this but I don’t know what I could do now to have a good start other than research. I want to be a diver and photographer for marine biology and also want to help with the studies. I know it’s lots of work but it’ll be worth it to me. What position do you think would be best for me?

May 3, 12:01 pm

Continue to be so passionate about marine biology and photography, study and try to do volunteer work in these fields. Don’t worry about the position for now… It will become clear to you what to do later in life.

35. Dallas Price
    Luke AFB
    April 29, 1:22 pm

Hi my name is Dallas Price and I am a 20 year old Air Force member and it has always been dream of mine to own my own aquarium and get to work with marine animals everyday. To be able to accomplish this you be amazing and I was wondering what you would suggest me to do. I plan to go to Florida after my contract to go to college but I want someones opinion who does this job every day. I will plan on living in Arizona after because this is my husbands home that is why I want to open my own business. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

36. Meia Chambers
    Miami,Florida
    April 27, 1:40 pm

Hi, my name is Meia I’m 15 and a freshman in high school. In middle school my dream was to become a marine biologist but now I don’t think I have what it takes and know I sound paranoid but I feel like I won’t succeed and that I’ll fall behind. I wanted to take a marine biology class for dual enrollment but I don’t know if I should. Do you have any advice for me?

April 27, 2:25 pm

Don’t get paranoid and continue to study. You don’t need to take a marine bio class right now. You can always take it later on. Best of Luck!

37. Katie
    England
    April 26, 3:52 pm

Hey! I really enjoyed reading this. I’m 14 and have recently developed a strong interest and passion in marine biology, mainly larger organisms such as dolphins, sharks and whales. I’m independently improving my swimming skills (due to a few medical issues I didn’t learn to swim until rather recently, but I’m already above average at it). My written skills are excellent, as are my I.T skills, and I am working on my speaking. Do you think getting work experience in a zoo would be good to aid my learning of marine creatures?

April 26, 4:54 pm

Get field experience in the wild if you are interested in sharks, whales & dolphins.

38. Mimi
    Atlanta
    April 26, 7:54 am

Hey I am Mimi and I am 12 years old I have a huge passion for dolphins and I am against people that hurt the I have a really good grade in science now and in 6th grade wh study life science my family thinks that I should study and forget about that I don’t want to and want to study dolphins what should I do?

39. gavinosuna
    chandler,AZ
    April 22, 2:50 pm

hi i am 10 i am doing a career project and i want to know what specific subject to study please reply asap

April 22, 3:06 pm

You just need a good, general education for now.

40. Cyrielle Delvenne
    Kent
    April 15, 6:16 am

Hi Maddalena,
    Thank you for your very interesting article. I am Cyrielle Delvenne, I am 20 years old and I am currently studying BSc Environmental Science in the UK. However, I would like to go back to Belgium next year. As they do not have BSc Environmental Science, I might have to finish my bachelor in Geography… Do you think it will still be possible to do a master in marine biology, or to work in that area after it?
    I worked in a biological project as a volunteer during three months last year and it was.. Extraordinary! Since then, I decided to study Environmental Science…
    Regards,
    Cyrielle

41. Lizzy Bulmer
    England
    April 9, 7:54 am

Hi I’m 15 and I love the ocean and always have. I started snorkelling since i could swim and am currently doing my Dive Leader in my local BSAC club. Marine Biology is my main interest and it would be amazing to get into it, any tips on how to get into it or what I can do.

Thanks!

April 22, 3:11 pm

Be passionate and creative, study and read books about marine biology, do volunteer work. For other tips, read my articles.

42. Daniel
    Surprise az
    March 19, 9:34 am

Hi my name is daniel me and a friend want to becomea marine biologist can you work in freshwater and how many hours do you put in for field work? Can you fish with rod and reel?

43. Daniel
    Surprise az
    March 19, 9:28 am

Hi my name is daniel im 16. me and a friend want to become a marine biologist can you work in freshwater and how many hours do you have to be in the field? Are you able to fish with a fishing pole and rod?

44. Kiah rogers
    England
    March 18, 5:16 pm

Hi I’m Kiah and I am 13 years old. I have been lucky enough to dive at the Great Barrier Reef, the Red Sea and recently the Maldives. I have had my PADI in diving a few years now and absolutely love it. Due to my experiences I have completely fallen enough with the reefs on our earth and tropical fish and corals in particular. I am picking myGCSE’s really soon and I was wondering if you had any advice on what to pick. Also how I would be successfull somewhere abroad as there are obviously no reefs in England. I am particularly interested in the conservation of coral reefs but love the sea in general. If you have any ideas on what courses I should take in the future or have any further tips on how to pursue my dream, please let me know.
    Kiah

April 22, 3:14 pm

Dear Kiah, the choice is only yours! You should continue with a good, general education and choose specific courses related to your specific interests later on in your career.

45. Dante AshtonHarrison
    Perth, Australia
    March 16, 11:52 pm

Hi! I am 15 years old and I am wanting to go to University and study Marine Biology, hoping one day to work in the field. I have received my Padi open water course and am aiming to go on a conversation to FIJI next year to earn my Advanced open water course. This conservation is all about baby sharks. I have not only fallen in love with the ocean and its mysterious creatures but the coral. My favourite thing about the ocean is the coral and I wish to pursue my dream in working in the ocean to help save the coral that is being crushed and the coral that is dying. I would really appreciate it if someone would be able to list some jobs that have to do with this? I also hope to one day work for national geographic in writing articles about the danger the ocean is in and the animals that are dying because of man. I would love to become and underwater photographer! This article has really opened my eyes because before I almost lost all hope of becoming a marine biologist because I am horrible at maths! But if you work towards something, you’ll get it if you keep trying.

46. Naomy Madrigal Astorga
    Somerville, NJ
    March 11, 11:23 am

Hi my name is Naomy, , i am 18 years old and i’m a junior in high school. For the longest time i have been trying to figure out what i want to do after i graduate, currently i am taking a marine biology class that they offered at my school and from the start i fell in love with it. I have always loved the ocean and the mysteries and animal life that come with it. I knew what i wanted to do once i experienced some of the knowledge and types of works that you are capable of doing in this field. More importantly i have been looking at some collages that i would like to attend and like you mentioned in your article i defiantly do not want to do this for the money but doing it to try to make a difference or just to try and help in one way or another. Seeing all the endanger species and things that people are doing at this moment literally break my heart, talking about it makes my voice quiver and i can’t even hold back the tears. I know that a lot of work is implied with this line of work and probably work that will push me over my boundaries but i know that i want to give it my all and that my passion for marine life and everything that comes along with it is much bigger than anything. As of now i am mainly looking to see if i could get some guidance and advice on things that i should do and things i should do in the years ahead. It would be a pleasure and honor to hear back from you and like you said get some knowledge from people who have been in this line a work for a long time. Thank you.

47. Kiah rogers
    England
    March 9, 12:34 pm

Hi I have been lucky enough to go to some amazing places and see some amazing marine life. I’m 13 and have my PADI in diving and have been completely on love with reefs ever since I saw them. Living in England I am worried about how far my career will go financially since I will obviously be a long way from home and don’t know how I would get work abroad. If you have any advice please contact me.

April 22, 3:17 pm

Don’t worry about the financial situation… Just be focused and work hard in obtaining your goals.

48. Kiah rogers
    England
    March 9, 12:27 pm

Hi I’m 13 and I am absolutely obsessed with marine life. I have been lucky enough to go diving and snorkeling many times and have completely falling in love with reefs. Living in England I am unsure on how I could fulfil my dream and I was wondering if you have nah advise.

49. aaliyah myers
    st.vincent
    March 2, 9:36 pm

hi im aaliyah im 13 yrs and i will love to become a marine biologist i wanna study dolphin i work hard and love diving

April 22, 3:18 pm

Great! Continue to be passionate and work hard.

50. Phoebe Campos
    Ladera Ranch, CA
    February 24, 12:43 am

Hi! I am currently in my sophomore year of high school and was wondering what courses I should take to become a cetologist. I am already enrolling for marine ecology for junior year. Should I take Statistics? What courses should I take in college? What’s the best college for cetology? I really have no idea. PLEASE HELP.

April 22, 3:21 pm

As I mentioned in this blog, you just need a good, general education for now. There is not a “best college” for Cetology. Any good college will do. And yes, Statistics is certainly an important course to take later on.

51. Wessel
    Durban Bluff
    February 19, 3:55 am

Hello.

After school I started working in a pet shop in Durban. It’s been 3 years and my passion for animal is still strong. Marine biology has gripped me hard. I get excited speaking about aquatic life till the point where I hyperventilate. Hahahah. There is countless fields I enjoy but nothing as much as the coelacanth. Just imagine if unlocking its key to surviving all this time. We can start saving billions of aquatic life or even start cleaning the ocean while keeping its inhabitants alive. I am Pisces, that’s probably why I belong in the water. . . I just briefly explained my undying attraction q

52. Amanda
    Lawrenceville Ga
    February 17, 10:00 am

Paperwork doesn’t bother me at all. Though I would greatly rather spend my time in the water. I specifically want to study sharks. Migration patterns, hunting patterns, mating patterns, and life spans are my main focus. Although preventing attacks could be a secondary interest. If given the chance, I would gladly work with whales, polar bears or rays; then again, I’d gladly study sea slugs, aquatic snakes, sponges, anemones, algal blooms and sea urchins as well. How do I get to THAT point? If I have to spend a year in an office to get a month on the water, that’s worth it to me. As I’ve said, sharks are my main focus (I’ve seen EVERY documentary on NatGeo Wild, Discovery Channel, and Animal Planet that refers to sharks, oceans, or big cats. You name it, I’ve probably seen it. Twice.) so if you can tell me anything about where to get started, that would be a huge help.

April 22, 3:22 pm

Be involved in volunteer conservation work, study and work hard, read as much as you can on this subject. These are just a few tips.

53. Emely Sanders
    Florida
    February 14, 11:10 pm

I have a passion for sea animals from since I was six years old. I love to swim and I would just love to be a Marine Biologist !!!!!!!!!!

54. paige estrella
    porterville ca
    February 12, 7:11 am

hi, i’ve been intrigued by the deep sea for a while, and one day would love to one day be one of the people behind the deep sea cameras, and soon will be attending college to become a marine biologist. i know that i need to build my own information about the ocean and was wondering if you knew of any volunteer groups or organizations i could join to do some research of my own? i live in california, and can travel within the state.

April 22, 3:25 pm

I don’t have any specific advice but I suggest you to contact a good marine organization in California that accepts volunteers and see what they have to offer.

55. Jess
    England
    February 1, 1:28 pm

Hi i am 13 years old and I have recently been to the Great Barrier Reef and explored the wonders of the ocion and I can’t stop looking at how to become a marine biology. As I get board a lot! I have written a small essa (about 6 pages long) about marine animals and analysing their behaviour, I was wondering. I was wondering what I should study for GCSE as I will have to pick them SOON any advise?

56. Anmol Trambadia
    Gujarat (India)
    January 28, 9:23 am

Salutation !!
    Hey I’m finishing my 12 soon in biology n I’m futher dreaming of doing marine biology ! Can anyone please help me or guard me what kind of future is possible after doing marine biology n which place in India n out of India are worth studying for marine biology please do reply !

57. Tonny
    South africa durban
    January 21, 12:18 pm

I am a 17 year old boy and i am taking a gap year in the year of 2016 so by next year i want to study marine biologist

58. Boipelo
    south Africa ,Gauteng
    January 14, 2:41 pm

Salutations
    I’m in grade11 and for a long time I couldn’t decide what career path I wanted to do …I’ve always loved animals (dogs ,owls,koalas etc. – You name it ).I have also researched careers in animal healthcare science like being a veteranerian or a zoologist , but nothing caught my attention and had me jumping in my seat with excitement like when I discovered the career marine biology …Everything about it is so captivating and fortunately I love maths and I don’t see myself doing any other career other than this . I’m striving for excellence this year so that I can get a university acceptance here in SA, so that I can finally do what I was born to do !

Thank you so much and I hope you respond

59. Boipelo
    south Africa ,Gauteng
    January 14, 2:40 pm

Salutations

Thank you so much and I hope you respond

60. Erin W
    Cleveland, OHio
    January 12, 9:45 pm

This was a beautiful post, and I felt like I could fit into the skin of the job requirements. I live right on Lake Erie and spend about 80% of my summers either on the beach or in the water. However I am having trouble narrowing down my options to a few. Paths of the marine studies that excite me are studying protozoa, bacteria, or other microorganisms, water types (pH levels etc) and even marine mammals. If you could shoot me an email about colleges, any websites or books that could be helpful, or even just a little momento would be great! 🙂
    I think the work you do is very unique. I would like to make it possible for my life as well!

61. Kristin Woods
    Peoria Airzona
    January 9, 11:37 pm

HI my names is Kristin,
    Marine Biology has been my dream since I was 7,
    I was in between Marine bio or Vet but I was always seeing my self as a Marine biologist, My options aren’t much out here in the desert and I really want to focus on my dream’s on Marine Bio! I don’t have the money to go across the country to anything, I have tried to explore my options here in Arizona I got nothing. I have a one year old son and I have yet to figure out what I can do! I don’t like just doing things on a computer i’m a hands on type of person! What can I do?

62. Kristin Woods
    Peoria Airzona
    January 9, 11:33 pm

HI my names is Kristin,
    Marine Biology has been my dream since I was 7,
    I was in between Marine bio or Vet but I was always seeing my self as a Marine biologist, My options aren’t much out here in the desert and I really want to focus on my dream’s on Marine Bio! I don’t have the money to go across the country to anything, I have tried to explore my options here in Arizona I got nothing. I have a one year old son and I have yet to figure out what I can do! I dont like just doing things on a computer i’m a hands on type of person! What can I do?

63. Palak Shrivastava
    December 30, 2015, 12:35 pm

Hey ..I’m in 12th and I’ll giving my final exams in march ’16.
    I want to make my career in marine biology. So please tell me what should I do after giving my final exams. I have PCB.
    I want to get admission in any of the best college of other than India cos there is not much scope fr such course.
    so please help me finding college fr graduation and all the other things related to marine
    Its my final year so I don’t have much time fr applying in a suitable college.
    Pls rply fast…

64. Chloe Ncube
    St.Martins, Harare, Zimbabwe
    December 22, 2015, 5:51 am

This is really enlightening and inspirational . thank you so much for taking my passion and interest for marine biology to the next level.I would really appreciate it if i could get other teenagers from around the world so that we can form a group or organization of just really passionate teenagers who will definitely one day change the world and future for the better.That would encourage a new generation of people who care about the environment and the inhabitants of it.*

65. Adrianna
    Rochester, NY
    December 9, 2015, 6:35 pm

Hi, I’m a senior in high school and my ultimate goal is to work in the field of marine biology or a related field. I have already applied to colleges and as of right now I think that I will be attending Roger Williams University in Rhode Island. If you have a chance, I have a couple questions. Is it a better idea to major in something more general like biology first, and then onto marine biology? Also, I struggle with math, and am in pre-calculus now. Will this be a problem later on? How much math do you use on a daily basis? I know for a fact that I am passionate in conservation and coral reefs/the animals that live around them. Do you have any suggestions for me going into college?
    Thank you for your time!

66. Palak Dawar
    December 7, 2015, 7:48 am

hello ma’am
    since india does not provide us with UG courses for marine biology (specifically) but for Masters nd PhD degress….so could u plz guide me with the UG courses i could pursue in india only …and later pursuing MSc in marine biology from abroad.

67. Palak Dawar
    December 7, 2015, 7:40 am

Hello Ma’am
    since india dose not provide us with ug courses specifically for marine biology…but does with masters nd phd degrees…
    so could u plz help me in guiding the ug curse which i could pursue from india only !!

68. Justin
    Washington
    November 28, 2015, 12:51 am

Hi I am 12 years old and in sixth grade I really want to g in sixth grade I really want to go in two marine biology but I don’t know where to start. To get the experience I will need when I am 13 years old I plan I getting scuba license. Where in the United States do you think I should go scuba diving. I know that I want to learn about octopus.

69. Sherry hahn
    Pa
    November 18, 2015, 4:55 pm

I realize this post is old but its a start. My 13 or old daughter is obsessed with sharks. She reads everything she can get a hold of. Her IQ is very high and she’s very ambitious. What can I do for her to help her get a better understanding of an icthyologist? We live is PA so I can’t take her to local aquariums or classes.

70. Alaina
    MIchigan
    November 12, 2015, 4:35 pm

Hi. I am 12 years old and wondering what I should be doing right now in order to eventually become a marine biologist. Are there any specific books I should be reading or websites I could be looking at? Thank you.

71. felicia
    November 6, 2015, 6:37 pm

Hi I am in my first year of college and was wondering about which places would be good internships that deal with studying orcas.

72. Udisha
    November 1, 2015, 3:17 am

Hello , mam. I’m 13 and in 11grade Please tell me about what I have to do after 12grade to become a marine biologist?

73. Udisha
    November 1, 2015, 3:10 am

Hello, mam. I’m 15 and I wish to become a marine biologist in future. I’m in 11th standard . What I have to do after 12th standard to enter in this field ?Which exams I have to give?Which colleges are best for it?and how much salary does one get ?and all….actually salary doesn’t matter much…please help me by answering my questions…and yeah! after college what to do and all …..please….I’m very curious

74. Charlie M
    North Carolina
    October 30, 2015, 12:46 pm

I’m a current high school senior and I’d like to some day work in marine biology or a related field, but my biggest issue is selecting a college. It just seems there are so many options and so many programs it’s hard to tell what’s really good and what really isn’t. I know this post (which is really helpful and well-written) isn’t about college choices, but I was wondering if you happened to know which schools you’d recommend an aspiring marine biologist consider. Thank you!

October 30, 2015, 1:09 pm

Hi Charlie, Sunil, Bryana & many others, I always try to respond to all of your questions by email.

75. Sunil Sahoo
    October 30, 2015, 4:22 am

Hi madam , my self Sunil and I want to become a marine biologist
    How can I get this job ?
    Now am doing my Bsc in zoology
    As it is required to become a marine biologist.. Pleases say me madam am waiting for your answer.,,,,………….

76. Bryana
    Samson Alabama
    October 28, 2015, 6:45 am

Hey my name is Bryana and I a 13 I want to be a marine biologist every since I could start talking right I wonder how to be a marine biologist but I do know how to be one.can u help me

77. Prem Patel
    INDIA
    October 27, 2015, 6:05 am

Hi Maddalena ! I am Prem and I am 12 tears old. I also want to be a Marine Biologist just like you and that at this age what can I do to learn more about marine biology and whats books should i read to know about aquatic life.

78. Padmaja Dodla
    INDIA
    September 30, 2015, 10:23 am

Hi,
    I am 29 yrs old and completed my masters in computer science,but right now I am passionate about wildlife conservation.Is it right to do masters again in conservation and pursue further?Do professionals from different background are accepted?Does age really matter?

79. Padmaja Dodla
    INDIA
    September 30, 2015, 10:19 am

Hi,
    I am 29 yrs old and have completed masters in computer science but now I am very much passionate to become wildlife conservationist or biologist .I want to pursue a masters course in this field,is it right time to start a career again?Does age really matter?

80. Jonathan
    old town,Fl
    September 23, 2015, 8:53 am

hi, my name is Jonathan and i’m 13 being a marine biologist looks fun . can you help me be come one?

81. T A
    Tokyo, Japan
    September 23, 2015, 8:14 am

Hello Maddalena,
    I’m 31 years old and have been working for the last 7 years. I feel unfulfilled with my current job. At the back of my mind, I always thought of pursuing a career in marine biology because I was and still am passionate about the ocean (and water sports too), but during the university years, practicality told me to continue my studies and refrain from switching courses. Now that I’m 31 (turning 32 in half a year), I’m considering to finally pursue my dream career and get an MA in marine biology. I have a BA, and need to take some science courses. The subjects don’t really intimidate me- I love studying. But I wonder if its too late – would companies hire a 35-36 year old (if it took me 3-4 years to do my MA)?I am physically fit tho not sure if I can dive deep (I’ve tried it only once. ). I’m interested in conservation but unable to decide since I would also need to think of the practical side. I am interested in coral reefs. But if I take up marine bio and specialize in coral reef (and preservation), I wonder if i could a) get a job (I suppose it’s very competitive) b) live on my salary. Of course, there are other options like toxicology or biotechnology, but while I don’t mind working surrounded by four walls (which is my impression, I am not really sure if toxicologists work in the lab all the time), I would also like to be able to do some field work and actually get the chance to be in the water. I would like to work with /on coral reefs (especially because my country is an archipelago).

Any advice? Thank you.

September 23, 2015, 6:12 pm

No, it’s not too late. The job market is competitive but you can do it. It really depends on your commitment, skills, passion, field experience, specific field of interest, etc.

82. Ania Goins
    Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
    July 30, 2015, 11:46 am

Hi there! My name is Ania Goins and I’m 26 years old. Currently I’m in process of getting my Bachelor’s degree in biology from Western Michigan University in Michigan. After receiving my degree, I plan to apply for a Master’s degree in marine biology at the University of Hawai’i at Manoa.
    As long as I can remember I have always been fascinated by the flora and fauna of our beautiful planet Earth; however, in the past couple of years my interest expended to marine life! I have many concerns about the long road that awaits in front of me in order to become a marine biologist. Your article was very helpful and I will try my best to follow your advice to make my dreams come true. In the meantime, is it possible for me to ask you couple of questions via email and get more guidance on my future plans, it would mean so much to me! Thank you!

Ania Goins

July 30, 2015, 12:09 pm

Hi Ania, I am glad you found the post useful. As I suggested to other readers, you can contact me through Ocean Conservation Society (www.oceanconservation.org)

83. Niladri Datta
    Kolkata,West Bengal,India
    July 26, 2015, 1:32 am

I am just 16 and left my studies is there any job for me?

84. Shelby
    Harrisburg, PA
    July 19, 2015, 8:04 pm

Hello Maddalena,
    I am 23 years old with a 15 month old son, I have had thoughts of being a marine biologist when I was younger and just recently started looking at schools to do so. I know there are many times during schooling that you have to go out in the field. Would it be harder to do so with a lil one at home? Also, is there a sub division of marine biology that
    has to do with sharks? I have been a shark lover since I was very young and to this day I am always educating people on them and how they are just misunderstood wonderful creatures. Look forward from hearing from you.

85. deonna
    July 15, 2015, 2:37 am

I’m 12 and since I was 6 i wanted to be a marine biologist i study animal on land and in the water and I will go to Florida university

86. Ouafa
    morroco
    June 23, 2015, 10:29 am

Hello!!…..actually I want to be a Marine Biologist..Unfortunately We do not have this direction in our country what should I do?????? I really want take this road

87. Janmay joshi
    June 20, 2015, 4:19 am

Hi I’m 10 years old & I want to become animal scientists can u please suggest me the better country for my studies

88. Madison Miller
    Colorado
    June 17, 2015, 12:18 pm

Hi, my name is Madison and I am 13 years old. I recently found that I am very interested in marine biology. Is there any camps or programs in Colorado for young teens to attend? If so, would my location be a problem? I’m not around any beaches or oceans here!

89. Ashley Garcia
    California USA
    June 7, 2015, 7:14 pm

Hi! My names Ashley, I’m 17 and I have always been fascinated with marine life. When I was younger I used to go to the library and check out books on dolphins and whales and sharks. I want to work in the field in which you work, marine research. I have no idea where to start, may I have your email? I’d like to ask some questions

90. Kia
    St.Vincent and the Grenadines
    June 6, 2015, 6:20 pm

Hey, will I still be able to become a Marine Biologist if I don’t do Physics in high school? I am doing Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Geography though.

91. Andrei Amerkhan
    Philippines
    June 1, 2015, 6:02 am

Hello guys !!! I’m 15 right now..
    Ever since I was a kid I appreciated biodiversity than technology, I really love to observe the lives of each animal in the land and sea… So I decided to be a marine biologist when I grow up, I was very determined to be one but when I saw the prerequisite of being a marine biologist, I kinda lost that determination cause I’m kinda slow in learning math but I love math and also, I’m kinda lazy to study but I really wanted to be a marine biologist….
    Can anybody help me please ? :'(

Just add me on facebook so we could talk 🙂

92. Chasity
    May 22, 2015, 12:17 am

Hello 🙂 My name is Chasity and i am very iinterested in the Marine Biology/Zoology field. I am concened that because of my ear sensitivity i will not be able to scuba dive often or even at all, will this effect my career in becoming a Marine Biologist? Hope to hear from you soon! Thanks!

May 22, 2015, 12:24 pm

Hi Chasity (and everyone else with a similar question): There are many roads to choose from and many institutions, universities and organizations that deal with wanna-be marine biologists. Marine biology is the study of marine organisms, their behaviors and interactions with the environment. It includes many different sub-disciplines and, consequently, an array of potential career directions. For instance, aquarists, microbiologists, behavioral ecologists, resource managers, lab technicians, system analysts, and environmental scientists can all come under the Marine biology umbrella. Not being a scuba diver won’t affect your future career in Marine Biology. You need to choose one of the many sub-disciplines that won’t require you to dive.

93. Helpful kitten
    Cumming,ga
    May 7, 2015, 6:58 pm

Hi I’m Amora I’m ten and I really am interested in becoming a marine biologist when I’m older I want to volunteer to help you Hi,I’m Amora I’m ten and I really want to be a marine biologist what I’ve been doing so far is looking up stuff about endangered sea animals such as the pink dolphin and more and looking up camps for girls like me or places to volunteer but I haven’t found anything close or that accepts my age
    What can I do?

94. Larissa
    Florida
    May 7, 2015, 11:26 am

hi! I am almost 14 and I will be going into high school this year. I LOVE Marine Biology and I have loved it since I was 10 or 11! I am wondering if there are any volunteer jobs for 13/14 yr. olds. I am also wondering if Marine Biologists handle animals. I know that being a marine biologist will take a lot of work and determination and your tips are VERY helpful! 🙂 Thank you and I hope you will be able to answer my questions soon 🙂
    thanks, Larissa

May 7, 2015, 4:13 pm

Hi Larissa, I don’t know where you live but, yes, there are volunteer opportunities for 13-14 years old. Check carefully online and you will find them. Marine biologists can “handle” animals, depending on the job and the type of animals. Glad my tips are useful to you. Best of luck!

May 7, 2015, 7:30 pm

Hi Amora, I am not sure where you live… (see my response to Larissa). There are opportunities for a 10 yrs old. Ask your parents and your teachers to help you find them in your area.

95. Glennda
    Moses Lake
    May 6, 2015, 2:08 pm

Hello, My name is Glennda and i will be graduating highschool soon. i have a low GPA and i will need alot of help in college. can i still qualify to study marine biology and in the future become a marine biologist?

96. umayma al rawahi
    Philippines
    May 4, 2015, 8:20 am

hi, i would like to ask you if it is possible to become a marine mammalogist after graduating marine biology in college? the internet didn’t help me that much. i would like to hear from you as the professional marine biologist.

May 4, 2015, 1:48 pm

Sure you can. Try to follow some of my post advice. Best of luck!

97. Cameron Sewell
    Durban South Africa
    April 12, 2015, 12:32 pm

I just wanted to ask a question have the researchers found the deepest parts of the ocean and fond any new species and if so please if it isn’t a problem may you share it

May 4, 2015, 1:49 pm

Researchers continue to discover new species in the deepest part of the oceans. We still know little about the ocean and its inhabitants.

98. Robyn Norman
    Portland, Oregon
    February 26, 2015, 3:36 pm

When I was 4 years old the ocean became my childhood. I am now 15 and the mindset of going to college is being emprinted into my brain. I want to become a marine biologist. It is all I have ever wanted to do. I take harder classes then most of the sophomores at my school/academy, making some of my grades not reflect my ability and mental awareness. Is it weird that I feel threatened by people who have the same dream as me? I have wanted to be a marine biologist for so long that I feel like it is the one thing that I have to get me through high school. I feel like I am not doing enough to reach my goals. Is there something more that I should be doing? I volenteer at animal shelters, I participate in extra curricular activities including sports teams, I travel around the world seeking the ocean. Is it weird to know that people have the same dreams as me and feel threatened by that? Is it abnormal to want to go do something for myself to “get ahead” but when faced the choice of doing it alone I back out?

February 27, 2015, 2:03 pm

Don’t feel threatened by others. You are going in the right direction. Just keep going!

99. Nadine E.
    South Africa
    February 22, 2015, 7:23 am

My son has expressed interest in this field since he was 4! He is now a year from finishing school and has still not swayed from his goal. He is however, beginning to ask “what subjects do I need? How do I know if I will be good enough? How long will I study for? What other subject are included? Will it involve travel…?” I am told we have one of the best Marine Biology faculties in South Africa, close to us, but could be misinformed. Please can you give us your thoughts. Your blog is exactly what I needed to stumble on. I have just about every search engine open right now, trying to find answers to my sons questions….
    Thanks in advance

100. Nadine
    South Africa
    February 22, 2015, 7:16 am

My son has expressed interest in this field since he was 4! He is now a year from finishing school and has still not swayed from his goal. He is however, beginning to ask “what subjects do I need? How do I know if I will be good enough? How long will I study for? What other subject are included? Will it involve travel…?” I believe we have one of the best Marine Biology faculties in South Africa, close to us, but could be misinformed. Please can you give us your thoughts. Your blog is exactly what I needed to stumble on. I have just about every search engine open right now, trying to find answers to my sons questions….
    Thanks in advance

101. Nadine
    South Africa
    February 22, 2015, 7:14 am

Thanks so much!

102. kileigh walsh
    northern ireland
    February 17, 2015, 4:54 pm

hi ive always wanted to be a marine biologist and in school I have to do a careers leaflet and I just wanted to know what is it like to be a marine biologist. thanks. and I wanted to know do you need English in marine biology.

103. Enzo
    Maldives
    February 14, 2015, 10:14 am

Hey i am 19 and i have Studied biology and chemistry in my Alevels but havent maths and physics. And i am from maldives here there is no direct course for marine biology the closest one is about environmental management. So i am so interested in marinebology this country is of morethan a thousand small small islands sorrounded by magnificent reefs. Do you think that this environmental management course will be an option for me?? Is there anyway i can become a marine biologist?? Please help me

104. Jordan Burnette
    Orlando, Florida
    February 11, 2015, 6:59 pm

Hi! I am 13 years old, almost 14. For many years, I knew that I wanted to be a marine biologist when i was older. Now that I will be going into highschool next year, I want to be sure I can get into a good college for Marine Biology. Is there anything I can do now that would help look good on a college application? For example; volunteering somewhere. Because im so young, I dont think I am allowed yet. What did you do when you were my age?

February 11, 2015, 7:15 pm

As I suggested in my article, volunteering is a great idea. At your age, I tried to spend lots of time in contact with nature. Hope this helps!

105. Delano Padayachee
    Durban, South Africa
    February 9, 2015, 2:17 pm

Thanks! that means more to me than you know (Big hug!) Tc

106. Delano Padayachee
    Durban, s
    February 8, 2015, 4:14 pm

Hi Maddelena,
    Thanks for the advice, Aquatic life in any form has always been a fascination to me. Sometimes I stare into puddles of water that form on the ground after it rains to see what is moving inside it, somehow finding aquatic life of any kind brings about a sence of peace in me during the personal challenges I face in this life, makes me feel like there’s more to life that I am not seeing. It has always been my dream to be a marine biologist just to search and find new things and if I can, change things for the better, I am 29 years of age and would love to embark on this kind of journey. I know that passion alone is not enough, but what do you think? Is it too late for me?

107. Jamie Schimit
    Canton, Georgia
    January 30, 2015, 12:13 pm

I am 20, I am a great swimmer and love science and the ocean and love all the fish and scuba gear stuff. Can’t wait to take my final test and become a assistant to an aquarist!

108. lillian earp
    January 21, 2015, 8:53 am

I love marine biology i have wanted to be a marine biologist since i was 8. I’m 13 almost 14 now. i still love marine biology but i don’t like math so i don’t know what to do can you please help me.

February 8, 2015, 5:04 pm

I wasn’t great with math either when I was young but that didn’t stop me!

109. Asma
    KSA
    January 19, 2015, 12:29 pm

HI
    I wanna be a marine biologist but im weak in math so I haven’t taken it for my study in 12th I realized recently tht maths is needed im mad about marine life but I hate math nobdy knows about marine studies n I live in a country whr thrs no scope for it not even india whr ive come frm n I cant get advices pls help me wht shud I do I so much want to be a marine biologist n Im not interested in any other profession
    PLS help me…

110. Sophie
    Scotland
    January 14, 2015, 3:06 pm

Hi I am 13 and I have lived in Scotland all my life as you probably know Scotland Is full of beautiful scenery and wonderful wildlife I want to become a marine biologist but I am also Interested in photography is there a job combining the 2 ?

111. Dayna Macaranas
    Northern Marianas Islands
    December 31, 2014, 12:22 am

Hi,
    I am currently 13, and soon to enter highschool. I live on a small tiny island. I grew up practically in the water of our beaches, and while growing up, I realized how much I was fascinated by marine life. I want to know what specific field or job would put me in the ocean as much as possible to study marine life. I would love to prepare myself for the future, as learning from older ones, what I should do.

112. Lee
    Port Moresby,PNG
    December 29, 2014, 9:33 am

Hi.. Ever since i was small I’ve always loved the ocean.. my house is near the beach and i spend almost everyday at the beach. Every year i witness leather back turtles coming up to lay their eggs in front of my house. This influence me to become a marin bio and learn how to take care of the baby turtles when they hatch. Quite adorable!!! THANKS for your help. To those young passionate marine bio, let us help our ocean and its creatures to be safe and free.. Cheers!

113. Isadora Greenberg
    Marstons Mills MA
    December 27, 2014, 2:24 pm

Ever since I was in middle school I have loved marine mammals. Bottlenose Dolphins are my favorite as well as spotted dolphins. I have done some research and I know that before I can specialize I must do the basics. I specifically want to become a cetologist. Hopefully one day I hope to build my own rehab for not only marine mammals but all sea creatures. But would I have to take a vet course if I want to help heal the animals?

114. Belinda
    Hawaii
    December 9, 2014, 6:38 am

Hello! I really hope you respond. I’m a junior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and I am completely lost. I’m currently a marine bio major but I’ve been debating on changing majors to psychology and getting a certificate and marine bio along with some helpful courses. I’m not quite sure what career path I want to take so that makes things a lot harder for me. I know that I love the ocean and it fascinates me and I love learning about all the exotic fish and working hands on with the mammals. I hope you can help me and give me some further advice. It would mean so much to me. Thank you.

115. Kevin
    Michigan
    November 10, 2014, 4:36 pm

So cool to see all of the young (<18 years old) folks inspired and enlightened by this post about becoming a marine biologist! This might be of interest too: 10 Little Known Facts about Becoming a Marine Biologist (http://www.oceanographynews.net/2013/10/27/top-ten-little-known-facts-for-becoming-a-marine-biologist/)

116. Bridget Groves
    Ohio
    September 9, 2014, 12:39 am

Hi. I’ve been interested in Marine Biology for awhile. I’m interested in the aspect of the coral reef and trying to preserve it and the marine life. I also enjoy photography and being in the ocean and watching all the fish swim. I don’t live anywhere near the ocean and not sure where to start or how to go about doing this. I’m 24 and seriously want to do something with my life. I’ve always wanted to open an aquarium at some point. Just love and enjoy everything about the water. Except crabs. They freak me out! Lol. Please can you help me? Thank you so much for your time!

117. mason
    cms
    August 28, 2014, 9:13 am

cool I want to be one

118. ablo
    maldives
    August 23, 2014, 7:09 am

i did not study well in school i will be doing marine study fundation courses I dont know how much it will help me to become a marine biologist is it a good palce to start i am a bit lost. I have done my padi OWSI i do littil bit of under water Photograpy do you have any ideas for me?

119. Alexis kis
    ohio
    August 2, 2014, 3:57 pm

My whole life from as soon as I can remember I’ve been fascinated by the sea and photography. I’m 16 and getting scuba certified now and I want my career to have something to do with it. I’m fascinated by everything about the ocean but I think I wanna work with animal rehabilitation and that would be my dream!!!

120. author
    July 1, 2014, 7:20 pm

Response for Carrie Ann (from Nebraska)

Dear Carrie, I am suggesting some of the classes to take in my article (read NEXT STEPS) so I hope you can find some ideas here. Also, as soon as you can, try to participate to volunteer camps near the oceans, perhaps during the summer months…
    all the best

121. author
    July 1, 2014, 7:16 pm

This response is for Liberty (happy birthday!) but it might also help other readers…
    I think you should pursue your dreams to be a photographer as well as a marine biologist – or an oceanographer . There is no reason why you can’t combine these two passions. You can become a “field marine biologist” (like me) and study ocean creatures such as marine mammals or seabirds. YOu can also become an oceanographer and help gaining a better understanding of how our oceans, and living creatures in them, function as an ecosystem. It really depends what specific topic you would like to study… You will spend lots of time at sea with both of these careers. For now, you can start getting some experience by volunteering for environmental organizations and then decide what you would like to pursue later one… The most important thing is that you keep your passion for the oceans and their inhabitants.
    Happy birthday

122. liberty loreto
    July 1, 2014, 2:46 pm

I am turning 13 in two days and i have a question on what i should do. I love photography and marine life . I’ve wanted to be a marine biologist since i was 7, but i recently discovered my love of photography. Is there a job where you spend your whole day with marine life studying and learning about the ocean and how creatures interact with one another and there environments?
    Second question if the answer is no to the first one.
    Marine Biologist, or Oceanographer which would you say spends the most time with marine life?
    I hope you see and or answer my questions. That would be the best birthday present ever.

123. Emacheeto
    June 27, 2014, 1:51 pm

I’m 11 and love sharks, I’ve always wished of discovering sharks and other fish I’ve never heard of I just starting secondry school and was wondering when I got to year 9 what I want to do

124. jazmyn monique trigg
    103 buffalo place
    June 18, 2014, 11:05 pm

I am 12 years old and I been wanting to study underwater creatures for so long so in my lifetime I decided I wanted to be a marine biologist and 1 more thing that set my mind to becoming a marine is I watched a movie called dolphin tale and it was about a dolphin who didn’t have a tale and I started to cry because some marines helped it find and build a new tale for the dolphin and so I started to say to myself wow marines really do care about sea creatures because before I didn’t know what a marine biologist was until I saw the movie dolphin tale that’s why I wanted to become a wonderful and exciting marine biologist…!!!!!!!

125. Anupam Rava
    INDIA
    June 13, 2014, 8:24 am

Yeah….. i love the Marine biologist….now i am in 2nd sem on bsc(honours)….. when i am graduate for this then i will be reach arch on the subject…..i realy realy love it..!

126. Maria
    spain
    May 30, 2014, 2:46 pm

Thank you very much!! I´m about to start Uni, just one year left in deed; and this is very usefull info for me. I´ve know I wanted to be a biologist since I was 13 or 14 and I´m also really interested in marine biology.
    So thanks again!!

127. kalinn komives
    delta Colorado
    May 11, 2014, 11:14 pm

Thank you so much for clearing that up because im only 12 I know I want to be a marine biologist. But I just didnt know what category of marine biologist I fell under

128. Johnk931
    eetptuei
    April 30, 2014, 1:56 pm

You are my inhalation, I have few blogs and sometimes run out from to brand. edgfdaekgbak

129. Achintya Bose
    April 29, 2014, 5:57 am

hi , i have always loved the whole of the dolphin family (including orcas , as they fall in the dolphin family) . thnx for the information , its very inspiring , being 13 , i wud like to no the path through which u walked to be at such a position in society and rank today . i hope to have our frst tlk soon . ciao !

130. Mason
    ~~ Sunshine State ~~ (Florida)
    April 28, 2014, 3:49 pm

I absolutely love this article! I want to be a marine biologist and specialize in shark studies. I am 12 years of age and definitely passionate for the deep sea.

131. Nida Quraishi
    INDIA
    April 23, 2014, 4:29 am

This article posted by Maddalena Bearzi is very inspiring and motivating for a person like me who aspires to be a Marine biologist/zoologist specializing in marine animals. I am currently in my 3rd year B.Sc.(Hons.) Biotechnology and plan to do my M.Sc. in Marine biology. I love watching Nat Geo and other related channels since I was a little girl, spending loads of time in the lab and I’m willing to actively participate in field work. There’s more to Marine biology than what people think of, its not just “swimming with dolphins” but requires much more dedication, hard work and will to pursue a career like this. Being a marine biologist is not only my dream job, but the only thing I am passionate about. I have some queries related to this field, hope you can help me with them. Eagerly waiting for your response. Thanx !!

132. Anonymous
    anonymous
    April 21, 2014, 1:13 am

Hey I’m 13 and really want to be a marine biologist! I have always been very fascinated with the ocean, and when I was little all I would do is sit in front of the tv and watch Animal Planet. I am especially interested in creatures DEEP in the ocean…. I plan to go to Flagler in Florida… Really good article! 🙂

133. kassidy hayward
    florida
    April 15, 2014, 5:11 pm

I am in 11 years old, i have been thinking about what i want to be when i grow up. i started doing research about being a marine biologist ,and i love animals because they are beautify, graceful learned a lot just reading your say and i like it I’m now going to do the steps and i hope to became a marine biologist.

134. Ellie Frostick
    united kingdom
    April 15, 2014, 4:10 am

Hi I’m Ellie and I am 12 I have loved dolpins and have always wanted to be a marine biologist. I have a jumper that says future marine bioligist and I have done loads of reaserch during the years. I love science but I hate maths and want to keep learning about dolphins and other marine mammals. I hope that one day I can become a marine biologist thank you for the help you posted. 🙂

135. Loudivine Tano
    Philippines
    April 7, 2014, 1:49 pm

Uhmmm this article is great, I am now a highschool graduate and i am making a new step on college in achieving my dream as a marine biologist. I really love the sea and I’m living near the ocean. I want to specialize on sharks and rays or maybe dolphins…. This is a great help thanks 🙂

136. Kaycie Rock
    March 26, 2014, 12:28 pm

I really love dolphins. I been liking them since I was 8 and I’ll be turnin 18 in November :). I really wanna become a marine biologist once I’m done with high school and start college.:) I wanna be able to study the animals and study the plants and stuff that lives in the water. I don’t know what type of marine biologist that is but I wanna be able to study everything in the water practically:)

137. Dee drummond
    Colorado
    March 10, 2014, 3:34 am

I love dolphins want to learn about them and swim with them and want to save them from Pochards who want to kill them

138. Natalie P
    United Kingdom
    March 6, 2014, 6:58 pm

Hi,
    I am 13yrs old and I am home educated. As of this September I would be going into yr 10. (as I am 14 in Aug) I want to start trying to carve a career path. I like science but I don’t like maths very much, I have always loved the sea since I was quite little, I have thought about the career of a Marine Biologist/Ecologist a couple of times now and was wondering if you had any advise for me? I also express an interest in horses and was thinking about a career in that aswell, because I really don’t mind having to muck out ad stuff 🙂 But I feel at my age it is hard to try to decide what future you want for yourself.
    Thanks, Natalie.

139. Carrie Ann
    February 12, 2014, 4:30 pm

I would love to study any form of Marine Biology! Problem? I go to small town in Nebraska and don’t know what classes to take in order to achieve it…. maybe you could help?

140. Luis A
    Colombia
    January 24, 2014, 10:40 pm

HI. i´m only 16 years but when I was a child I love the ocean and acuatic´s animals. I like some inforation a other advice…… thanks for everithing. 😛

141. Abbey
    Adelaide, Australia
    January 16, 2014, 11:07 am

This is so inspiring, I’m almost 14 and a Pisces I’ve loved the water and all marine life since I can remember. I have so much passion for marine science I could never pursue another occupation! I already have big dreams for my p.h.d and am constantly asking for volunteer work but I’m a bit too young. I do well in school and I’m up late every night doing homework just so I can be ahead in class and get accepted to a good university when the time comes. I have plans of studying in Queensland after highschool and have already started looking at courses. All I can say to you guys who aspire to marine biology is to go for it!!! If you work hard enough you can do anything! Dream big!! X

142. Joseph Andrew Maliberan
    Philippines
    January 11, 2014, 10:34 pm

Hi, I just read this inspirational article. Since childhood, I,m always fascinated by fish and corals. Honestly, after school. I always drop by at the Local Fish Store to look at the fishes in the aquariums. I’m 13 yrs. old now. I spend my free times reading books, surfing the internet reading articles about coral reefs.I wanna be a Marine Biologist in the future. I want to focus on marine life living and interacting in coral reefs.I also want to study unique habits and behavior of fishes and corals. I want to hear some advice and tips from you ms. Maddalena Bearzi. Thanks for your article… 🙂

143. Sarah Belka
    Coon Rapids, MN
    January 7, 2014, 9:56 pm

I live in the middle of the US and not any were near an ocean. I really love marine biology and want to really experience more branches of it. I am 13 so I am too young to travel much. This article has given me new light- because I live so far away from an ocean I have been feeling a bit lost lately, so I thank you for this article.

144. katie shepherdson
    ingersoll,ontario,canada
    January 6, 2014, 1:27 pm

this was such an amazing piece. I am only 12 but I have wanted to be a marine biologist for as long as I can remember. I love sharks and I want to be in the ocean with them. When I am old enough to actually start my career and get out there the ocean will be worst then it is today, so I am also focusing on conservation. Thankyou so much for the tips!:)!

145. caitlin crockett
    Missouri ( usa )
    December 4, 2013, 10:06 am

this was so inspirational. im only 16 but i have dreamed about becoming a marine biologist for nine years. my favorite animal is a manatee!!!! but i also love sharks. i want to dive with them and take pictures and study them and try to save them from boat perpellers that are harming them all the time! any help is accepted! email me with information. caitlincrockett16@yahool.com

146. Eric Faith
    November 30, 2013, 10:45 am

This was extremely helpful. I’m only 13, but someday I would love to either be an Elasmobranchologist (biologist who specializes in sharks, rays,a nd skates), Cetologist (biologist who specializes in dolphins, porpoises, and whales), or Pinnipedologist (scientist who specializes in seals, sea lions, and walruses), and this was very helpful.

147. abbey ferreira
    November 11, 2013, 4:20 pm

this post is amazing, you are truly inspirational as i am only in year 10 however have a huge passion for marine biology and you have really directed me to which pathway i want to get in to

148. Ivan Patrick Baquiano Tualla
    Philippines
    October 22, 2013, 3:39 am

Thank you for this! This made me crave more in fulfilling my dreams. I am a Marine Biology student as of now and I’m currently on my Junior year in college. I’m hoping that someday I will have a chance to work in National Geographic :))

149. Danny Gowen
    San Diego
    October 12, 2013, 9:43 am

She makes me want to be any kind of biologist 🙂

150. Joshua Stephens
    Bermuda
    October 2, 2013, 9:59 pm

Thanks for posting this article…… I find it is hard to know what to specifically get into as many say you need to specialize in a a specific area of expertise. I have thought hard and deeply, but the each thought seems to be replaced by other ideas. I have always loved the ocean and have been on the water since I was born….. My original aspiration was the tracking and studying of many sharks in general, but since working in the field with helping to teach people scuba diving, another aspiration has been to show to people the importance of conservation of our coral reefs. Therefore this article has helped me to understand how to actually stay in this field.

151. Arthur
    Hawaii Honolulu
    September 19, 2013, 4:48 am

Thanks that helped me to think more about it .if I wanna specialise in sharks what should i choose of all the marine biologist carrers and thanks again

152. Jessica Van Vaerenbergh
    Tampa Fl
    September 18, 2013, 8:12 am

Thank you so much this is an amazing article! It sounds like I am already on the right track! I just need to find some professionals I talk too! The ocean is my passion and I have been scuba diving for awhile now! This article gives me great hope!!!

153. Brendan O'Connor
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    September 17, 2013, 10:19 pm

Hello my name is Brendan O’Connor. I am a biologist major that has always been interested in becoming a marine biologist. I am starting with a basic degree in biology because it is broad. I am working to get into a graduate program that Milwaukee which would mainly be based around fresh water biology. I don’t know if Maddalena Bearzi will read this comment but I am a very ambitious undergrad who has some prior experience in aquaculture. I worked on a fish farm for 4 or 5 months where I learned much about Wisconsin’s fresh water fishes. I am extremely excited to get my feet wet in any kind of biological study and am willing to do the late nights, numerous pots of coffee, and staring at a plate under a microscope. So, I would love to hear from you Maddalena because I agree that marine biology is seen as a glamorous life and when I tell people that is what I aspire to be they ask me, “Are you going to swim with the dolphins?” This kind of upsets me that this line of work has been wrongfully labeled as “swimming with the dolphins”. So, I would love to hear from you, but I understand if you are busy.

154. Anjanette
    Philippines
    September 17, 2013, 7:23 pm

Yeah… I want to be a Marine Biologist.. Someday I’m gonna be a marine Biologist…or maybe other field of Biology… . Thanks for the advice… I love National Geographic…

155. Mohini Venkatesulu
    Levittown, PA
    September 16, 2013, 9:38 pm

Avery useful article .
    Sent it to my grd dtr @ penn state.
    She is taking micro or molecular biology.
    Thanks .Mohini Venkatesulu.

156. Jean
    Florida
    September 16, 2013, 8:07 pm

What do you think the best field would be if you wanted to spend as much time as possible with marine life? I understand the work that comes along with it but to me, it’s only worth it if I am able to spend as much time as I can with marine life.

157. Suzannah Kolbeck
    Marietta, GA
    September 16, 2013, 3:48 pm

This is great; I often have several students who express interest in marine biology, and I have forwarded it them.

Thanks!