Surprising Photo: Toad Eats Bat

It may look like the Lady Gaga of amphibians, but this enterprising cane toad is actually in the midst of eating a bat.

Yufani Olaya, a ranger at Peru’s Cerros de Amotape National Park, sent the picture to Peru-based biologist Phil Torres, who published it on his blog.

toad eats bat
The toad and its bat prey in Cerros de Amotape National Park. Photograph courtesy Yufani Olaya and PeruNature.com

Torres said this is a rare—and perhaps first—documented sighting of a cane toad feeding on a bat. Cane toads (Bufo marinus) are native to South America and can weigh up to 4.4 pounds (2 kilograms). They are “notoriously opportunistic” feeders, which has made them a scourge in places where they’re not native, such as Australia, he said. (Watch a video of the unstoppable cane toad.)

Even so, Torres couldn’t imagine how even an aggressive amphibian like the cane toad snagged a highly mobile bat, so he contacted Olaya again for more details on the attack.

Olaya told Torres that “out of nowhere the bat just flew directly into the mouth of the toad, which almost seemed to be sitting with its mouth wide open.”

Wrote Torres: “With toad-like reflexes, this cane toad was able to snatch the unsuspecting bat right out of the air as it flew too close to the ground, and apparently directly at the toad’s awaiting mouth.” So, did the toad finally get those wings in its mouth?

According to Olaya, no. The toad finally gave up and spat it out. While Olaya at first thought the bat was dead, he said it slowly recovered and was able to fly away. I’m sure it won’t make that mistake again.

Voracious Predator

Don Wilson, curator emeritus of mammals at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History, said that it’s “certainly plausible” that a cane toad could eat a bat.

Wilson said it’s a free-tailed bat, a type of bat that often roosts in roofs and flies high and fast, he said. For this reason, it’s likely that the bat crash-landed while exiting or entering its roost, and that the toad happened to be nearby.

Cane toads “will eat most anything it can get in its mouth,” he said, “so grabbing a nearby bat would be no great surprise.”

Brian Gratwicke, an amphibian conservation biologist at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, agreed a cane toad could probably catch a bat, adding that there’s another report of a relative of the cane toad eating a bat in Brazil in 2003.

“But it’s really a traffic accident in the animal kingdom, not really the norm. I guess this is why this picture and story are so compelling.”

What other weird predator-prey attacks have you witnessed?

Comments

1. rebobbo
    Boulder county, Co
    November 13, 2:48 pm

I had a very rare opportunity at eating two,maybe three grams of mushrooms from Peru. At some point during the journey that followed I came across a mirror and that picture is exactly what I saw to be my reflection !

2. Nicholas
    October 3, 2013, 2:15 pm

Glad that bat wasn’t injured. I agree with Eric about the Cane toads.

3. StayAtHomeSci
    October 2, 2013, 11:51 am

bj,

The photograph was taken in Peru, where cane toads are native. Whether this unidentified species of bat is particularly important, it hard to say.

4. bj
    September 29, 2013, 6:01 pm

So… why didn’t the photographer club the unwanted and non-native toad and save the very desirable bat???

I think it was cruel to let it just be in there like that just so he could watch the story unfold. Nasty man. He could have eliminated the toad and helped everyone and save an important bat. Jerk.

5. Bruzote
    September 29, 2013, 11:33 am

Oops! I should have said Eric. not Paul (editor, you can fix that if you have the time and inclination, then delete this).

6. Bruzote
    US
    September 29, 2013, 11:31 am

Paul – Interesting point. I did not even know cane toads were a problem in Florida. Obviously, that people can die from pythons and fire ant stings is a major point of concern. Still, I was dismayed to even hear that Florida has cane toads. Who is their natural predator in South America. Is there one?

7. thomas phillips
    September 28, 2013, 2:41 pm

Why would you post a picture of a toad that seemingly has swallowed a grape colored( bat that IS MADE OF PLASTIC? ). By using hot melted plastic things like this are not really that hard to make!!! If you would care to have more in depth proof of my findings I would be glad to prove my findings.

8. George
    Oak Harbor WA USA
    September 27, 2013, 11:11 pm

Hang in there baby!! I’d rather have more bats then cane toads.

9. Jory
    tha millz
    September 27, 2013, 11:24 am

cricky that little blugger can eat allmost eny thing ah

10. Melissa
    Townsville, Australia
    September 26, 2013, 9:47 pm

We had a large green tree frog eat a snake on our back patio one night.

11. Richmond
    Philippines
    September 26, 2013, 4:28 am

I hate cane toad. One time, there was a large cane toad in our house and we were terrified!

12. Eric Paul
    September 25, 2013, 4:29 pm

Great photo and an amazing story. I’m surprised they haven’t mentioned the issue with Cane Toads in Florida. Everyone talks about fire ants and pythons being pests, but what about the Cane toads???