45th Anniversary of First Men on the Moon: Spot Apollo Landing Sites

Astronaut Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin poses with lunar experiments during Apollo 11 mission 45 years ago. Credit: NASA
Astronaut Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin poses with lunar experiments during the Apollo 11 mission. Credit: NASA

On July 20, 1969, the Apollo 11 mission delivered astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins to the moon. This Sunday marks the 45th anniversary of the first time people landed on our lunar neighbor. (See “First Explorers On The Moon.”)

With the aid of binoculars, you will be able to see some of the Apollo landing sites. However, since the moon will be in its waning crescent phase, you won’t be able to see the exact Apollo 11 landing site. But two other Apollo sites—12 and 14—will be visible.

The moon is gravitationally locked to Earth, meaning we always see the same side of the lunar orb. Therefore, familiarizing yourself with the major landmarks across its face is fairly easy. The scattered dark patches—called maria or seas—dotting the moon’s face were once thought to be actual oceans filled with water and life. They are in fact gigantic crater basins formed over three billion years ago, when mountain-size rocks smashed into the ancient moon, causing liquefied rock to bubble up and ooze out to harden into the smooth, dark areas we see today.

It is on the edge of one of these maria, called the Sea of Tranquility, where humans first landed on the moon. Apollo 11 and the five other landing sites are all easily found scattered across the lunar face.

This illustration of the full disk of the moon shows the location of each Apollo landing site as seen through binoculars.  Credit: NASA
Red dots identify the location of each Apollo landing site as seen through binoculars. Credit: NASA

Don’t expect to see equipment left by the Apollo astronauts or their footprints, though. For that you would need NASA’s Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, which flies just above the surface of the moon.

This skychart shows the position and waning crescent phase of the moon in the early dawn sky of July 20,2014. Tot helower left of the moon willbe two of Earth's other neighboring worlds, Venus and Mercury very low to the eastern horizon. Credit: SkySafari
This sky chart shows the moon’s position in the early dawn sky of July 20, 2014. Venus and Mercury appear to the lower left of the moon, very low on the eastern horizon. Credit: SkySafari

We will have to wait until August 10 for the next full moon phase in order to see all six Apollo landing sites, including the iconic Apollo 11 site. But if you’re looking for some moon maps to get the full lunar experience, then check out Google’s zoomable version or the Lunar Society’s interactive photo atlas.

If clouds block your view of the moon this Sunday, or if you want to tour the moon through a telescope—at least virtually—then the astronomy outreach venture Slooh will provide a good way to mark this anniversary. It will broadcast a special program via live feed from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.

The fun starts Sunday, July 20, at 5:30 p.m. PDT/8:30 p.m. EDT/00:30 UTC (7/21). For international times, go to http://goo.gl/pUHQih.

Enjoy your lunar holiday!

Follow Andrew Fazekas, the Night Sky Guy, on Twitter and Facebook.

Comments

1. nozar
    uk. london
    July 29, 8:10 pm

That’s nice

2. Richard Breedlove
    St. Petersburg, FL
    July 21, 10:17 am

I was in the US Air Force when this happened in 1969 stationed At Maxwell Field, Alabama. I was a team leader on the Air Force side of the Cape when SkyLab went into outer Space.

3. Ima Ryma
    July 20, 4:54 pm

1969 in July,
    The 20th to be exact.
    I was looking up in the sky
    To see if news I’d heard was fact.
    A gin and tonic in my hand,
    I had drunk several, I think.
    My eyes were a bit blurry, and
    I stumbled and I spilled my drink.
    But ’twas a time in history,
    A matter over my fogged mind.
    Maybe a drunken step for me,
    But “one giant leap for mankind.”

I looked and looked and looked, and soon
    Yes, I saw the man in the moon.

4. Jim
    mars
    July 19, 8:30 pm

“Don’t expect to see equipment left by the Apollo astronauts or their footprints, though.”

AHHAAH I KNEW IT

5. asbe
    ethiopia
    July 19, 5:25 pm

I have been confused with conspiracy theories on the landing of apollo 11 on moon .and now also I haven’t fully accept landing on moon if yuo have an evidence which can convince me and athers with this point . Thanks

6. Dwayne LaGrou
    Lapeer, Michigan
    July 18, 10:03 pm

I think it’s amazing that we have the ability to reach out into space and actually have another human walk upon another planet (moon). But at the same time I can’t help but wonder why we haven’t gone back to establish a scientific base of exploration. Sooner or later we are going to visit other planets in the solar system and we need to work out some of the bugs before we try it somewhere that would be to far away to help if there were a crisis. We should be working harder to get this done. Back in the day we had a president that basically dared ourselves to get it done and we did. Where is that get up and go attitude today. Today we can’t even send up our own people to the space station without sending them to Russia for a ride. Talk about embarrassing! We used to be t he country that was known for getting the difficult done, And now we are reduced to hitching a ride from another nation.
    Come on America!!! We can and MUST get that “CAN DO” attitude back before we are left in t he dust.

By the way, GREAT ARTICLE!!!

7. Ryan Rutledge
    July 18, 6:46 pm

Landing on the moon was a great accomplishment for mankind. It is encouraging to know that as a nation we can accomplish such unfathomable things – at least by 1960 standards. Now, with all of the technology at our disposable – it can be frustrating when something isn’t possible and it can be visualized.

Smart Energy Today and the reflective insulation industry is a major beneficiary of the technologies that came out of the trip to the moon. Extreme temperatures in space necessitated a way to protect the astronauts and the space equipment. Radiant barrier technology, a chief component in reflective insulation, is a product that is being used in homes to make them more energy efficient. This technology is used in everyday scenarios.

A simplistic analogy of how radiant barrier technology works is to think of the baked potato. It’s wrapped in foil to keep it warmer longer by keeping the heat in. Or in reverse a sun shield for cars that keeps the heat out.