‘Geno 2.0: Next Generation’ Reveals New Details of Your Ancient Ancestry

Geno 2.0: Next Generation (Geno NextGen) is the next phase of the Genographic Project, National Geographic’s pioneering effort to decode the story of individuals’ deep ancestry hidden within their DNA. Geno NextGen builds on the success of Geno 2.0 by growing the analytical capabilities of the test and enhancing the participant Geno 2.0 experience.

Image courtesy of National Geographic
Geno NextGen. Image courtesy of National Geographic

Here are the new and enhanced features of Geno NextGen:

We are including thousands of new Y chromosome and mitochondrial DNA mutations, allowing for the highest resolution in maternal and paternal haplogroup (family clan) assignment, shy of genome or chromosomal sequencing. The new mutations will allow for dozens of new haplogroup stories.

New Genographic Chip, courtesy of Ilumina, Inc.
New Genographic Chip. Image courtesy of Ilumina, Inc.

Regional affiliations will now be estimated from eighteen populations. By analyzing more than 700,000 mutational markers across the entire human genome—an increase from the 150,000 used in Geno 2.0—researchers can now estimate the geographical components of your DNA from double the number of regional affiliations and then compare these results to more than 50 reference populations. Participants can learn if they are similar to people from Ireland, Germany, Lebanon, or maybe all of the above.

Sample of results. Image from www.genographic.com
Sample results. Image from www.genographic.com

We are recalculating the Neanderthal DNA percentage with higher precision. In the last three years, we have learned much more about who Neanderthals were and how they interacted with our ancestors, and we are incorporating what we learned into the new experience with a recalculation of participant’s Neanderthal DNA.

Next Gen participants looking for genealogical matches can now easily transfer results to our laboratory partners at Family Tree DNA and search for relatives across their large database.

As a continued promise to all participants, the Genographic Project will not test for or report on any medical markers and will never sell DNA results. To learn more about the Genographic Project or how to get a Geno NextGen kit visit us at www.genographic.com.

Comments

1. Jennifer
    Canada
    September 1, 8:20 pm

Thank you.Yes, I was including Neanderthal. Where percentages were concerned, I did not think the geographical infor mattered so much because it was a math question. That does (sort of) explain it, though I think you have a strange way of doing math. If it were 4% for example, that would be quite a chunk outside of 100%.

2. Jennifer
    Canada
    August 30, 11:56 pm

My son’s results:
    1.2% N + 39% S + 35% EU + 24% SU + 2% A = 101.2%
    What is the explanation. I asked this in a different way previously and the question was removed?? My other son, my self and my husband are all awaiting either kits or in my case results. I only did this for the novelty of contributing to the project. I am just wondering what happened with the math on these first set of results.

August 31, 11:11 am

I am happy to answer your question, but I cannot tell based on the abbreviations what each percentage refers to. If you are including Neanderthal in your addition, then that would answer the question. Being 1.2% Neanderthal is it’s own separate calculation apart form the geographical regions.

Dr. Vilar

3. Greg
    Washington, DC
    August 28, 5:51 pm

Not very happy with getting results that don’t say much of anything other then my ancestors came over on a boat. I could have told you that. Now my father has passed and Genographic is saying they have a newer test or marking formula. How do I go about having his earlier sample used for that now? Seems if Geo is not keeping the raw data from those who have passed, that can be used in the future, then we’re no further into the mapping then when this program started.

4. Karen Ramirez
    July 27, 4:04 am

I haven’t gotten the results of the “Plain Jane” Geno 2.0 yet, and I cannot find an address to send an inquiry about it. How can I find out what happened to the original sample?

5. Larry
    June 11, 8:07 pm

For new testers the test is really very good (gives what appear to be much more accurate maps for the region each component covers, gives tons of reference samples as opposed to none, compared to FTDNA MyOrigins and it also does haplogroups which FTDNA FamilyFinder does not and it gives a vastly nicer presentation and more info about haplogroups and how they walked out of Africa than 23andme).

So for first time testers I’d say for sure get this instead of FTDNA FamilyFinder and it’s a nice alternative or addition to 23andme or Ancestry (I’d take it over either of those if only one could be done).

However, as a Geno 2.0 upgrade it seems like there should have been a discount, especially if more than one member in a group upgrades since the haplogroup section does not at all seem to live up to what was promised. I don’t know anyone yet who got any new info at all compared to the old Geno 2.0 test and even worse my dad actually got LESS SNPs tested for his Y-branch and MANY LESS tested for his mtDNA. In fact, not just the old Geno 2.0 test, but even 23 tested his mtDNA much more deeply!! And since the new ancestry is similar to MyOrigins and you only need one person to test to get all the nice extra info it seems to me it’s more cost effective for groups/families to have one person upgrade and everyone else just get the much cheaper FamilyFinder test.

So yeah regarding the haplogroups none of us learned a single new thing from the upgrade and, shockingly, we actually got much less detailed results in one case than with our old test. And although we got the same results for all the other haplogroups, digging into Y-SNP RAW data we see our Y-lines got LESS overall sub-branches tested than the old test. So something seems to have gone wrong with the talk about the haplogroup section having been vastly upgraded. It seems to give mostly the same or even less detailed results than the very advanced for it’s time old Geno 2.0 test. I feel like we should have at least been given a free full transfer to FTDNA since we even got worse results on one test than on the old one regarding haplogroups. It’s also kind of disappointing on a scientific front as well since this was one the few places where you could get tons of haplogroup results in (I believe far fewer do things like full mtDNA or BigY and so on) so to have cut some interesting lines back seems a real shame.

6. Adrian
    Indonesia
    May 20, 5:31 pm

Even though i have a common East and Southeast Asian Y Hg O-CTS5492 or O2-M134 +M117 +M133 and mtDNA Hg B4c2 (16183C, 16217C, 8281-8289d) but my “Old” Geno 2,0 Autosomal DNA (150.000 markers) results told me when i am: 65% Northeast Asian + 35% Southeast Asian (1st Chinese and 2nd Kinh Vietnam) and i have 1,2% Neanderthal DNA + 0,6% Denisovan DNA. While my cousins Geno 2,0 NG results have East and Southeast Asian paternal Y Hg O-CTS4960 or O2-M134 +M117. But him, his sister and mother were belongs to “more” Central Asian, Mongolian or Native Siberian maternal mtDNA Hg M8a2’3 (16134T, 16223T, 16298C). His Geno 2,0 NG (750.000 Autosomal DNA markers) results were more complicated than mine. He is around 56% Southeast Asian and Oceanian + 44% Eastern Asian (1st Filipino and 2nd Bougainville Nasioi) and he have about 1,4% Neanderthal DNA. About 2,1% Neanderthal DNA for an average Non African or Eurasians people.
    So, My (Adrian YP) Geno 2,0 and My cousins Geno 2,0 NG results basically shown when I’m more East Asian than my cousins?
    If i’m, Adrian YP, take and buy The Geno 2,0 NG, are my Autosomal World Regional results will slightly or significantly changes or quite different with my “Old” Geno 2,0 Test results?

7. Mary Devaney
    Massachusetts
    May 16, 10:42 pm

I am very unhappy at being asked to fork out another $200.00. I originally purchased a 2.0 Kit because I trusted National Geographic’s representation of the product. I felt I was contributing to a scholarly project.
    I expected my information to be upgraded as the project proceeded. National Geographic is now acting like a shady, bait and switch rip off company. The only honorable thing to do is to give free upgrades to your existing customers. If you honor your commitments, you will attract more participants. If you do not stand by your original representation, I, for one, am going to go else where with my DNA.

8. Do Not Recommend
    May 12, 8:10 pm

Interesting… I wrote a negative comment in regards to this product because IN MY EXPERIENCE it is not what you are promised, yet…. the comment has disappeared. Wonder if this one will….

9. Do not Recommend
    usa
    May 12, 7:42 pm

Completely disappointed. Compared to ancestry.com I will recommend that one before this one. I get more significant information; i can download it and access it at any time; and it gives you full results. This one sure is nice to know your neo background, however, once you get the results it says go here to download your data for free. This lady and gentleman is a lot of bs. You can transfer them to family dna and then that is when they hit you!! Not only did you pay $160 something for this but now if you want any of your data you have to “upgrade” it through familydna and guess how much that cost. $39 (exclusive offer for gene customers) for family match, $69 for basic mtdna, and $169 for the full mtdna sequence. I’m sorry if i new my total costs to find out the same damn thing i found through ancestry.com would be close to $400 I would have never wasted my money on this. After all this only benefits their research and we get nothing worth it for that cost. Ancestry gave me more info and matches and much much much much more than this did for just $79 dollars. So congratulations National Geographic for partnering up on a business deal that screws your customer base. I will be sending a request to take my data our of your research. Thanks for making me feel like I just got con. DO NOT RECOMMEND IT UNLESS YOU DONT CARE ABOUT WASTING YOUR MONEY FOR NO REAL VALUE.

10. Wye
    May 11, 8:55 pm

Why isn’t Geno 2.0 Next Gen data available to download? This was specifically why I ordered to test with Genographic — to get the raw data. I will be fine with sharing for research (it was secondary in my reasons for testing), but I wanted to download my data before I checked that contribute box.

11. Colin bilsland
    Chester england
    May 1, 5:05 pm

I bought 3 tests , geno 2 .0 a couple of years ago and I thought that as infomation became available that infomation would be upgraded . so why do we have to pay for another test as more infomation has became available. This does seem a bit of a con

12. Jonathan
    New Zealand
    April 2, 6:15 am

Can the DNA sample you have already tested for Genographic 2.0 be re-tested for the Genographic Next Generation 2.0 without having to submit a new sample?

April 6, 2:24 pm

Please contact our customer service team and they should be able to help answer that question.

13. Stefania
    March 30, 2:34 pm

Why reference populations change from one test to another when the same person is tested and why if my highest percentage in Your results section is european, my two reference populations are native american?

April 6, 2:26 pm

New Reference populations were added to the new test. We cannot answer your second question without looking specifically at your results. The calculations for the reference population is based on genetic distaces, so it is strictly mathematical. Also keep in mind that many North, Central and South American populations are predominantly European genetically.

14. Thora
    US
    March 28, 2:32 pm

I did the Geno 2.0 and the Geno 2.0 Next Generation and the 1st and 2nd reference population changed and based on my genealogical tree they do not match to my real story.I opened a ticket for this to be reviewed almost 2 months ago and haven’t received any response.The Geno 2.0 gave me Mexico and Greece as 1st and 2nd ref pop and the 2nd test gave me Argentina as 1st ref pop and Colombia as the 2nd one and I do not agree since I do not have a high african component to justify the colombian reference, neither the native american component is the highest, european is the highest one, so they do not match.Also Neanderthal decreased from 2.3% to 1.1% in the Nxt Gen results.And these reference pop did not match to the ones I received when transferred to FTDNA, the ethnic component matches but the ref pop do not.

15. Helen
    Los Angeles
    March 21, 11:45 pm

I participated and bought a kit way back when this project started. There was more information on my results (subgroups of K). Now, I noticed that is all gone from this site when I click on “Results.” Why has this been erased? Do I need to buy this new kit, 2.0, to gain those once posted subgroups. Wish I knew you were going to pull this info because I would have downloaded it.

April 6, 2:28 pm

The information about your haplogroup should still be there. Please contact customer service and they may be able to assist you in sorting it out for you.

16. David Gloster
    nr. Munich, Germany
    March 6, 1:23 pm

On Jan. 11 you wrote: “Old kits would need to be retested unfortunately”. Does that mean we have to pay again and start from the beginning?

17. Liz
    Ireland
    January 12, 7:43 pm

On December 18th I got email saying geno 2.0 next generation has received my sample. I would to know an estimate when my results be ready. I know due to participation and demand results waiting times vary.

I’ll be very fasinated in my results as I am mixed heritage, both of my parents are from Ireland one of them is nationalist background and is native irish. The other is from a unionist bsackground and is descendants from ulster planters how came from great Britain and settled in Ireland from late 1600’s onward

The percentage of regional ethnic breakdowns in reference population in geno 2.0 is really good. Whereas in geno 2.0 next generation you have the reference population without the percentage breakdown. I would like to see this before I get my results particularly for Ireland and Great Britain England/Scotland to see there breakdowns

18. KM
    January 12, 7:15 am

I received the recent newsletter in my email box. I read this article and thought…”Yippee, now I can transfer results to FTDNA.” Oops! This article is months ‘old’ and the transfer results is ongoing. I hope another newsletter will announce when this will happen. I would like to see what other tests to order once FTDNA accepts the transfer results. Thank you, National Geographic/Genographic Project.

19. Baudouin
    Belgium
    January 9, 5:08 pm

Will you recalculate for the old kits?

January 11, 11:55 am

Thank you for your comment.
      Old kits would need to be retested unfortunately, since the chip and the processing are different.

20. Pauline
    January 9, 11:16 am

Is there anyway they will be able to tell what Native American you are? Like Navajo, etc…

January 11, 12:02 pm

Hi Pauline,

In order to learn more about specific Native American Nations we often need more participation from members of that group. As participation and as our database grows we hope to be able to provide more specific information like that.

21. Yussef Mneimneh
    January 9, 10:41 am

soory but far too expensive for what it brings… i was really disappointed with genographic 2 as it offers very low value compared to ftdna (groups and so on)
    i will definitely not buy it

22. MJ Bailey
    US
    December 30, 2015, 10:19 am

They lie! It is not easy, have been waiting 2 1/2 months. Same old story, should be completed within 1-2 weeks–WRONG!

23. Jan
    Sydney
    December 28, 2015, 8:07 pm

Could you please provide precise details about the Geno 2.0 Next gen test>
    Will (and when) will the raw data be available for us to store on our own computers as a file and will it be possible to upload to FTDNA,( a compatible format). If is it uploadable to say FTDNA, what level of detail will it provide in the Y DNA, the Mito and the autosomal regions. I (and many others) can’t afford to test the same things at many different places but would LIKE to be able to support Nat Geo project and still be able to to use the raw data to get more info on my own ancestry. (I’ve been saving for a test since you started , but can only afford at one company. I have just paid for my mother to have a full Mito at FTDNA..but maybe the raw data that covers this would have been included in the raw data from your test, and I may have been able to upload the info?)

Does the raw data include other info..like the X DNA ?
    In summary, what precisely am I buying? While the INFO you analyze ..like Group and migratory paths tens of thousands of years ago is interesting,..it IS limited.
    I gather you do not store the sample at all..so if I test someone who dies next year (like my elderly parents) if I can’t get ALL the raw data available from the test (and know what is covered) , then that info is lost forever

I have read thru many comments from the past 6 months and this question does not appear to have bewen answered..and is NOT available on our website anywhere (under details of test, FAQ, blogs or facebook etc). I’m sure many would like this info to be provided somewhere ?

24. P Mattes
    December 28, 2015, 6:19 pm

I have done 23andme, Genebase and now doing Ancestry.com, can I send my results to any other data base?

25. Jeff Goodwin
    December 20, 2015, 12:28 pm

I’ve been looking at my paternal results and surname. I know my bloodline is true back to abt. 1506 in Bocking, Essex England, Where the father of Ozias Goodwin Sr. was born and who was some 100 years old in the year 1606 when Ozias Sr was in trouble for not performing his duties on the main road, his excuse being to care for his elderly father. My Goodwin’s enjoy one of the most accurate genealogies of Colonial America from research started by judge Nathaniel Goodwin back in the 1830’s, and which was completed in 1921 by F. Starr.

There were THREE branches of my Goodwin surname in the British Isles in the 1500s, my branch was the wealthiest. And all three branches were sea faring merchants, playing into each others hands. Further, my surname is German in origin also according to a leading antiquarian of the 19th century. And my DNA results say my paternal haplogroup is I-M223. I’m a history buff, and so it is easy to connect the dots on this line using my wonderful Nat Geo DNA results, as follows.

Sometime during the Bronze Age a group of closely related young men from the Harz Mountains in Germany comprised a long-term nickel mining operation centered in Skelletea, Sweden. The men took local women as wives and my subclade was born. As the operation was long-term, the subclade traveled back to the Harz Mountains and this clan of people prospered in both locations.

When the Iron Age came around, a group of closely related young men from this clan moved to Dardania. This is where a coal miner – involved in the family business of metallurgy and sea trade – coal fueling the forges – became a king. His name was Bardylis. His son Cleitus was the next King. And the ancient historian Arrian states that Cleitus sacrificed THREE boys, THREE girls, and THREE black rams on an altar just before the Battle of Pelion with Alexander. Well, 3+3+3 = 9 and the number 9 is well-known to be of extreme importance in Norse mythology and paganism, thereby cementing the connection suggested by the DNA results.

What happened next is interesting, another group of my clan/subclade made it into Central Italy under the surname Guduini, where the Pope had complaints about one of my kin about 600 AD. See The Lombard Names of Early Medieval Tuscany. Next they made there way into Lyon, France by the 820s with connections in the catholic church.

And finally they made it to Wessex, England where we find Guduin (Goodwin) of Wessex. Despite my kinfolk’s defeat in 1066, many Guduin and Guduini are mentioned in the Doomsday Book in 1085. And this is my where paternal line story connects with Bocking, Essex England.

The take back from this is that the age of YSTR variation for my I-M223 is NOT 12kya! It is more like 3kya!

You’re welcome.

26. vicki
    December 14, 2015, 4:12 pm

When will the raw data for Next Generation genographic 2.0 finally be available for download? (“soon” does not help).

27. John Riseley
    England
    December 12, 2015, 9:23 am

Hi Miguel, you mention (November 3) that shipping for the Next Generation kit is currently free. When I start the ordering process (for delivery in the UK) shipping is initially put at $0 but later on $20 is added. It doesn’t even give the $9.95 reduction in shipping per kit mentioned elsewhere. Regards John

28. Ronnie
    murca
    November 25, 2015, 9:51 pm

@Larry you have told me nothing I don’t already know. 23andma did raise the price very recently, however I already had mine done there for $100 and I have way more info from that. I have plugged all my info into all of the above mentioned plus my Ancestry dna.

29. Tom Lutz
    Chester Springs, PA
    November 19, 2015, 12:13 pm

I’ve noticed recently that much detailed family history information is appearing on Google, for all the world to see, including everyone’s age. Does anyone know why this is happening?

30. Larry
    November 15, 2015, 11:24 pm

“They are still trying to figure out if there will be an upgrade for Geno 2.0 but the best they can say now is that it’s a new cheap and the least expensive it’s ever been.”

Isn’t it a bit poor sport to your customers to not be able to decide yet? Won’t people be annoyed later on if they pay $199 or $149 and later there is some $100 or $120 upgrade? And annoyed people don’t help get others to test and getting many to test is the goal isn’t it?

“Is it possible to get a Geno 2.0 Next Gen analysis on a sample from Geno 2.0? Yes, if it transferred to FTDNA and the sample is stored.”

How does one do this? The only option seen is to order a new kit and send in a new sample. People thought that should not be needed if one had transferred to FTDNA and now it seems that it has been verified that it is not needed.

And yet, for some odd reason, it is required even though it’s not actually necessary. Why? At the very least you’d save some paper and material and transport waste and could give current testers maybe another $10-15 off at least.

31. Kurt
    Germany
    November 15, 2015, 5:10 am

My personal page says: “CSV download is not available for Next Generation users”.

I paid $200 and am not able to get the results in detail?

Is this a bad joke?

November 16, 2015, 11:45 am

CSV Download will be available soon.

32. Larry
    US
    November 14, 2015, 3:40 pm

@Ronnie – Actually it’s not really true that “Even with the 25% discount you are $50 more than other sites with no more information.”

They test Y and mtDNA haplogroups more deeply than FTNA’s $99 test. Maybe it won’t make a difference for everyone, but it would surely extend plenty to a deeper subclade. So it depends if you planned to ever do full mtDNA or Big Y tests or not (which would go even much deeper but also cost a ton more). The two stage ancestry method of Geno where they use basic ancient components (which seem like they should be more stable than the direct mixed methods used by others) but then you can also compare to how various modern references tested out with those components (although this step can be tricky for those with a wild mix), certainly the old non-Next Gen version and it gave an interesting look on ancient components. The new version seems a little different since they added more components to basis.

And 23andme just raised the price to $199 so it’s $50 less than that test (and also Gen 2.0 Next Gen has a deeper haplogroup test). 23andme does show Ancestry Comp in a direct one step mode and it also filters it more, which is both better and also certainly worse (also they have a much smaller database for some exotic places compared to Geno), so basically just different.

Apparently the Next Gen will also allow upload to GEDMatch and to FamilyFinder so you get that too. (I do hope they don’t get too carried away with becoming like the others and too commercialized and drop too much of the ancient anthro research and field work and all.)

Overall at this sale price it seems like it might be the best overall value, at least for many if certainly not all.

33. Arielle Masters
    November 4, 2015, 4:45 pm

The test kits went on sale November 3rd? Seriously? On November 2nd, I bought test kits for my MIL and FIL. Any chance of a retroactive discount?

34. Ronnie
    Murca
    November 3, 2015, 11:26 am

Even with the 25% discount you are $50 more than other sites with no more information. Since I have not seen results from the new test I cannot say whether there is more or less info but based on what has transpired so far I would venture to guess less.

35. Miguel Vilar
    Washington, DC
    November 3, 2015, 10:45 am

I am happy to report that the price for Geno 2.0 Next Generation dropped 25% to $149.95 with free shipping. Genographic will likely not advertise the chage, but would like to invite Geno 1 and 2.0 customers to take advantage of the sale. The offer is for a limited time.

36. Luis Santiago
    Brazil
    November 2, 2015, 1:15 pm

Hey all!

Could we have a discount to buy the Geno 2.0 Next Gen kit, as we had bought the Geno 2.0 kit last year?

Thank you guys!

Luis

November 3, 2015, 10:52 am

Thank you for your interest and support of The Genographic Project.
      There is currently an unadvertised sale on the new Genographic kit: 25% off w/ Free Shipping.

37. Jonathan Dawes
    New Zealand
    October 30, 2015, 5:29 pm

Hello, I have the same question as Michael McGuinness below. Look forward to a response. Thanks.

38. Ronnie
    murca
    October 25, 2015, 10:44 am

Tic-toc goes the clock… 19 weeks and counting!

39. victor
    australia
    October 24, 2015, 3:21 am

Hi

I am on geno 2.0 and am part of the scientific research , maybe due to my “rare” T1a ( ydna ) marker.
    I was wanting to know 2 things.
    1 – do I need to pay for an upgrade to the next-gen
    2 – do you need a new sample for next-gen

kind regards

November 3, 2015, 10:53 am

Thank you for your interest and support of The Genographic Project. Unfortunately you need a new sample to test on Geno 2.0 Next Generation.
      But there is currently an unadvertised sale on the new Genographic kit: 25% off w/ Free Shipping.

40. Alan
    England
    October 23, 2015, 7:20 pm

Am I to understand that I paid $200 on the understanding I would receive all updates only to find that with the 2.0 upgrade I will not receive any more updates? I’m not well off and cannot pay again – nor should I. I’ve allowed my DNA to be used for science and this is my reward? It’s a rip-off if I’ll get no more information. I also learn on here that there are other cheaper ways of getting more information? Plus you don’t have the courtesy to reply for weeks/months. Oh, and the Danish regional affiliation graphic isn’t displaying.

November 3, 2015, 10:55 am

Hello Alan,
      There continue to be updates to Genographic, specifically in the Y chromosome and Mitochondrial DNA stories and markers.
      Thank you for informing us about the Danish graphic not showing.

41. Jeff Goodwin
    October 21, 2015, 9:21 pm

I got my results the other day. The best one is my maternal line haplogroup: H3. I know from primary source evidence that this line is American Indian from Delaware. So what happened? I did a search online and found other person with the same information as me, maternal line Lenape but H3. That had photographs, oral tradition, and census data to back it up, just like me.

The answer is this:
    1. the Portuguese were crawling all over the North American coast line in the 1500s.

2. The Dutch and many others settled Delaware and lived with the Indians for several decades until William Penn’s sons decided to sell off all the land and force the Indians to places like Ohio between 1750-1800.

My mother was likely a Dutch woman who was absorbed by the Lenape.

42. Michael McGuinness
    October 18, 2015, 11:34 pm

This has probably already been asked before, can I have my results from Geno 2.0 transferred to this platform without charge ( or at least at a discount)? Or do you need a fresh sample? Also I purchased Geno 2.0 less than a year ago and am wondering if it is worth the $200 seeing how a new version will come out soon asking for the same price.

November 3, 2015, 10:56 am

Thank you for your interest and support of The Genographic Project. Unfortunately we need a new sample to test on Geno 2.0 Next Generation.

43. Kalino
    October 13, 2015, 2:13 am

I have sent my samples mid June. And I have received reply on 13th October from The Genographic Project that it will take ANOTHER 4-5 weeks. And since I have sent my samples there were NO UPDATES on my profile page.

November 3, 2015, 10:58 am

Over the summer we transitioned to the new platform, so the processing was delayed a few months. However, your sample should already have been processed by now.
      Please contact Customer Service and they may be able to help you with your question.

44. nik monroe
    san jose CA
    October 3, 2015, 1:18 am

will existing geno2.0 members get a free update to the next gen 2.0 test or would I need to pay again.

November 3, 2015, 10:59 am

Unfortunately you need to send in a new sample to test on Geno 2.0 Next Generation.

45. Michael Shatto
    Concord, California
    September 29, 2015, 5:54 pm

Will we who were the early participants have our search updated, or do we have to do it all over again?

46. Miguel Vilar
    September 29, 2015, 10:44 am

Hello all,

Thank you for your interest, and most kindly for your patience. I’ll attempt to address many questions and concerns about they delay with this post. As many of you guessed, we are in the transition period between Geno 2.0 and Geno 2 Next Generation. Please rest assured that your sample was received and the laboratory work has begun. At this point we are finalizing work on the website before going live with results. For most people it will be a few days before you start seeing your results. If you have any specific questions please contact our customer service by email: genographic@ngs.org or phone 713-868-1807. Thank you!

Sincerely, Dr. Vilar

47. Monica
    Spain
    September 29, 2015, 7:32 am

George, my samples were reported as “processing” more than 12 weeks ago and we are still waiting for the results. Meanwhile, the number of samples processed has not changed in several months. As you can see in their homepage, it is stuck in 705,343 participants. This worries me a lot. Are we really going to receive our results after investing several hundred dollars??

48. Sanford Sorkin
    Upper Montclair, NJ USA
    September 27, 2015, 4:21 pm

It is unacceptable customer service to see that no one associated with the GENO Project has taken the time to respond on-line to any of the people posting their disappointment on this site. It should be clear that most of us want to be treated better, and not to be perceived as an unending supply of cash with the titillating prospect of just a little more information. (You have also not responded to a phone call.)

National Geographic would benefit by deciding that the primary objective is scientific research which may require more information, and not fund raising from the existing customer base. To enhance the quality of the data you are using, the equitable approach would be to process the DNA of existing customers at cost, and no more.

49. George Stockman
    Illinois
    September 23, 2015, 7:37 pm

Good news today. My sample was reported as processing. It will be a lot easier to wait 8 to 10 weeks knowing that it has been received. Thank you.

50. George Stockman
    Illinois
    September 21, 2015, 7:35 pm

According to USPS Tracking, my sample was delivered 9-2-15 at 5:41 pm. As of 6:32 pm 9-21-15, whenever I sign in your website says my sample has not been received. It that is the truth, which I assume it is, should I initiate an investigation by the postal authorities into what might me lost or stolen U.S. mail?
    George Stockman
    9-21-15

51. Monica Prats
    Barcelona, Spain
    September 21, 2015, 4:22 am

I submitted 2 kits at the beginning of June, more than 3 months ago and every time I log in I get the same message: Results not ready. Could you please tell me when do you plan to process these kits? I think the waiting time has been long enough now, to get the results. What is going on?

52. Sarah
    September 16, 2015, 8:10 pm

I would like to know if my previously submitted DNA has been used in any way to test this new platform? If so, then we need to discuss why it was used and yet I’m being asked to pay another $200 to learn of any new results. This seems shady because Geno had to use DNA results, and lots of them, to verify this new testing protocol.

Please advise how the new testing protocol was validated if not from previously submitted samples.

53. Gigi
    September 16, 2015, 6:59 pm

>>>as previously stated above by Mike and Jessica,

“But, I am not prepared to participate further for the following reasons. Previously, participants in Geno 2.0 were led to believe that as more data was obtained, the information about individuals and groups would be steadily updated. This has not been observed to happen consistently. For a very basic example, the counter of number of processed results has remained stuck on 705,343 for the last six months.
    I am also surprised to recently read in your blog that in order to benefit from the improved technology, existing participants of Geno 2.0 will need to submit further samples and pay almost $200 with no discount as a loyalty incentive. How long before Geno 3.0 emerges and the gullible public are asked to fork out another chunk of change for more refinements? If the aim is to obtain a greater level of participation to improve the statistical validity of population origins and migration routes, then price reduction rather than price increase would seem to be the correct approach. The price increase suggests simple commercial greed is the motivation.” – I think Mike above said it very well, but you didn’t even bother responding to him.

When we purchased 2.0 kits, we were told that part of the reason your kit costs twice as much as the others is that our information would be updated as more research was done. Well, there has been exactly one update to my story since I did my test 2-3 years ago. Now, you have new information, but you want us to pay the same price we already paid again? That is not good customer service. Yes, you may have to run the test again, which is the same amount of work as if we were a new customer, but we’re not new customers. It would behoove you to provide significant discounts (really, it should be a free update) to previous participants – we were on board with you when you had less, now you want us to essentially pay double. Some of us will end up paying $400-$600 for this test if we’ve been with you since 1.0 or 2.0 respectively. Will we have to do this every time you learn something new? That’s going to be thousands of dollars – that makes this very inaccessible, and it limits the number of participants that you have. As members of groups with low participation rates (I know I am), that seems to defeat your purpose – you give better results when you have more participants.

Also, for female participants who do not have a y-chromosome, you ought to provide a discount on a 2nd test to have a male relative tested as well. I don’t have any brothers or even a father or uncle, but my paternal grandmother has brothers – I would have paid $300 to test myself and one of them, but $400?

An even better solution to this problem would be two separate information from each x chromosome – Mitochondrial information from Parent A and Mitochondrial information from Parent B would give me more information, and I’m sure I could figure out which information came from my mother and which information came from my father’s mother. It’s not exactly a paternal lineage, but it’s as close as a lot of us are going to be able to get.

Also, you state that with the autosomal DNA that you test, you can give us information about our most recent eight (I believe) generations, but that is nowhere in the story. Give us more explicit information. Using it just to provide regions of origin is not good enough. I was very disappointed in the paucity of information provided to me with 2.0 – why should I spend the same amount again?

You ignore everyone who says this, but you need to give upgrade discounts. It is the only way that you will really retain customers and create the largest database.”

In addition to this, as a homeschooler, I applied for the educators discount for 3 additional tests and was never even contacted.

These are my sentiments as well. I am sorely dissatisfied and disappointed with Genograpic. I placed much more confidence in the product than I should have because of the “name”.

I’m taking my money elsewhere.

54. anthony
    September 14, 2015, 5:29 pm

When will we see what the new reference populations are for “Next Generation?”

Also, will you have a raw data upload so those who have raw data from either 23andme, ancestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA could upload their raw data so they won’t have to submit another sample (which would be good because the sample would be ready in a few days rather than a few months)?

55. Gilbert Ray
    Fayetteville, NC
    September 14, 2015, 1:41 pm

The Post Office delivered my sample and my wifes on August 26 and it is now September 14, Should we be sent a new kit to redo the test?

56. Jessica
    Massachusetts
    September 12, 2015, 11:15 am

57. Sal girma
    Maryland USA
    September 10, 2015, 8:31 pm

I just learned about this and I am very interested and willing to participate. I was wondering if I could get more information on how to actually trace my linage?

58. Gilbert Ray
    Fayetteville, NC
    September 10, 2015, 5:45 pm

How long between receipt of the sample in Houston does testing start? My sample and my wifes was delivered by the Post Office on August 26th It’s now September 10th?

59. Gilbert Ray
    Fayetteville, NC
    September 10, 2015, 5:37 pm

I submitted mine and my wife’s samples in August and the USPS reported they were delivered on August 26th. I finally got tired of waiting for a link to combine with the previous 2.0 and did a new registration and the site said, on both, that the samples have not been received as of September 9th. Quite a stretch. I’d like the testing to begin since we spent so much money. Anyway the site suggest combining with previous tests but still doesn’t provide a link that I can find.

60. Ronnie
    usa
    September 10, 2015, 12:23 pm

I will try posting this again.
    Are you ever going to reply to those of us who have already purchased and received results from older tests to get a discount on the new ones?
    We were told that there would be updates when possible. If you are referring to a few new stops on the paternal groups, that is very unfortunate. I spent half the money on other dna for profit sites and received far more information.
    If it truly is for science, the price should not be increasing it should be going down as you should be more easily accessing information right. And if you really wanted to advance science you would want to make it available to as many people as possible right.
    The only update I ever receive are the daily notifications of new sales on items in your catalog!
    I will no longer be encouraging others to do this for profit test with less information for twice the cost of the other tests available.

61. Ronnie
    September 9, 2015, 4:28 pm

So why no response to the people asking for discounts on new tests. If it is truly for science and not a money grab we should get a big discount for previous participation instead of increasing the price. There was also supposed to be updates to the dna, sure you gave us new stops along the way, but no new info otherwise. I got much more info from other dna sites for half the price. All I get from you guys are numerous emails about new shopping discounts and magazine subscriptions. I will not be recommending these tests any further to any of my friends and family. Adios!

62. Adrian YP
    Indonesia
    September 6, 2015, 7:20 pm

Hello Miguel, I’m Adrian Y P, a Chinese Indonesian man. I want to know about differences among Asian people. Mostly East and Southeast Asian have a Y Hg O M175 and mtDNA Hg B, F (R type) but Mongolian and Tibetan have A Y Hg C M217 and D M174, mtDNA C, Z, D, G (M type) mtDNA N9a, Y (N type). Because Y Hg O and Y Hg MNOPS have an ancestor Y Hg K2 M526, and mtDNA Hg B and F have an ancestor mtDNA Hg N – R so are Southern Chinese, Austro Asiatic and Austronesian are more closely related with European and Middle Eastern (Y Hg F*) and mostly Western Eurasian mtDNA Hg N and R type (second migration Out Of Africa / Inland Eurasian Clan) rather than Old / Classic Asian like Mongolian, Tibetan and Ainu Japanese (first migration Out Of Africa / Coastal Clan). A Northern “Han” Chinese appear have a similar Paternal line with Southern Chinese but difference Maternal line (Northeast Asian / Siberian) mostly mtDNA Hg M type like C, Z, D, G. Almost all of Eastern Asians don’t know and understand about these scientific researce so Asians are always misunderstanding to identify a little difference appearance about themself. I hope an Anthropologist geneticist like The Genographic Project, Family Tree DNA, 23andme, and ISOGG can explain about these misunderstanding among Asians people especially Indonesian, Chinese, Japanese, and Mongolian / Altaian.

63. Adrian YP
    Surabaya-East Java-Indonesia
    September 6, 2015, 4:59 pm

Miguel, im a Chinese Indonesian man. My Y Hg O3 M134 and mtDNA Hg B4c2. I learn when my Paternal Y Hg O is a descendant from Y Hg K2 M526 who its also an ancestry for Y Hg MS (K2b1) in Eastern Indonesia and Pasific Islander, Hg NO (K2a) in EastAsia-Southeast Asia-Siberia-Eastern Europe and Hg PQR (K2b2) P in Central Asia, Q in Siberia-America, R1a-R1b in Europe, R2 in Northern India while my mtDNA Hg B4 is a descendant from mtDNA Hg L3-N-R-B. Are my Y Chromosome and mtDNA Haplogroup are more closely related with European and Middle Eastern rather than the Old / Classic Asians like Mongolian Y Hg C M217 – mtDNA Hg M, C, Z, D, G and Tibetan / Ainu Japanese Y Hg D M174 – mtDNA Hg C, Z and D (M type) and Hg N9a and Y (N type). Im sorry to ask these but a lot of Asians like Indonesian and Chinese thinks that they are, (especially Chinese) are related with Mongolian, Tibetan, and Native Siberian and in the fact that Native Indonesian and Southern Chinese in Southern Yangtze River are denied to compare to each other even though they are (based from Y DNA and mtDNA) have a same / similar ancestry but in the other hand a Northern Han Chinese have a similar Paternal DNA with Southern Chinese but they have a different Maternal DNA. North Chinese have a Northern mtDNA Hg while South Chinese have a Southeast Asian mtDNA Hg. I think that the last statement about North and South Asians divide are true. And i hope with an advance Antropology Geneticist technology can explain the truth about humanity and Geno 2,0 NG can eliminate a social human racial concept because the human DNA evidence are the best solution with a 100% accuracy to categorise a human differences and similarities rather than archeological, language family, artifact, and history. Good luck, National Geographic Genographic Project, Family Tree DNA, Dr Spencer Wells, Miguel Vilar and another Genographic scientist geneticist! Spead the love with science, not myth!

64. Martin Holubar
    CZ
    September 6, 2015, 9:16 am

Hi,
    I have invested in Geno 2.0 kit some 2 years ago and for some reasons we are now planning to submit DNA samples. Are they going to be processed as expected or is there any impact on getting results due to the introduction of the Next Generation kit?
    Thanks.
    Martin

September 10, 2015, 11:00 am

Hello Martin,

You Geno 2.0 kit will be processed on the new platform (Next Generation). We appologize for the delay as we go through the transition.

Thank you!

65. George Stockman
    Illinois
    September 3, 2015, 12:57 pm

I posted a comment on Aug. 19th expressing concern that I might have “wasted” my money on buying the NextGen kit.
    That concern was dealt with in a comment by Miguel Vilar on Aug. 25th wherein he stated that the NextGen kit “will also give more information than the Geno 2.0 test.” I now look forward to getting the results from my swab. Thank you.

September 10, 2015, 11:02 am

Thank you for your patience George! As you can guess we are in the transition period right now. We appreciate your patience.
      Best wishes, Miguel Vilar

66. Karen Layfield
    California
    September 2, 2015, 1:01 pm

We bought the 2.0 kit last year, and I am quite disappointed to hear that you are not offering a significant discount for re-test using Next Generation. Why should anyone test with you? I did it originally to help contribute to science, but I am quite disappointed now and will no longer recommend you as testers to my interested colleagues and friends. Should you decide to alter your policy, please advise.

September 10, 2015, 11:05 am

Thank you for your interest and comments Karen. I will keep you posted if we are able to offer a discount on NextGen for Geno 1 or Geno 2 participants. Your paticipation does help advance our research and helps fund our science. We thank you for participating in Geno 2.0.

67. C.S.G.
    Buffalo NY
    September 1, 2015, 5:11 pm

Will there be a list made available of Y SNP’s tested for by the new chip? FGC12562?

September 10, 2015, 11:06 am

The list will be made available in the next few months. Feel free to reach out to me directly for more informaiton.

68. Don Butler
    Austin, Texas
    September 1, 2015, 2:40 pm

It seems most of us who have participated in the earlier testing would like to know, at a minimum, just what additional reference populations and regional affiliations are available through Next Gen testing. Contrary to what you say, that information cannot be found in either the texts of the blog or the FAQs. Moreover, the response to a call to customer service (which redirected me to Houston) indicated such information was not only not available, but that they had no idea when it would be made available or how it would be disseminated. It appears your launch of the new product is way premature if we can’t find out what we’re buying. As one who has been a supporter of the project, has taken both tests and encouraged others to do the same, I’m still seeking a reason to participate further. Thus far, you’ve provided little or no incentive to do so. Please give me some basis for further participation. Thanks.

September 10, 2015, 11:08 am

We will be providing all of this information in our website in the next few weeks, and it is already available through our customer service. We thank you for your patience as we go through the transition. Best wishes!

69. Heather Farren
    Washington state
    August 31, 2015, 10:04 pm

Is the GENO 2.0 test an autosomal or mitochondrial DNA test?

September 1, 2015, 1:09 pm

The Geno 2.0 and the Geno 2.0: NextGeneration tests include autosomal, mitochondrial and Y chromosome (for men).

70. Heather Farren
    Washington state
    August 31, 2015, 9:21 pm

Is the Geno 2.0 test an autosomal DNA test or mitochondrial DNA test?

71. Heather Anderson
    Minneapolis, MN
    August 31, 2015, 12:13 pm

The ad for the new test says it tests from 50 regions. Where can I find that list of ethnicities/populations? I’d like to know that before I purchase the new test .
    Thank you.

September 1, 2015, 1:11 pm

The test can break down the genetic components of your ancestry in to eighteen regions, but the results are compared to more than 50 reference (closest) populations. That list will be made available through the Customer Service, and in updates to our Frequently asked questions part of the Genographic website.

72. Julie
    pennsylvania
    August 30, 2015, 7:33 pm

I am researching DNA genetic testing sites and I was leaning towards your kit but some of your replies to customer questions has me not wanting your kit. People have submitted tests in June and are asking why no results yet and all you say is to go online and check the website. I am sure these customers already did that and there is no update. Your replies are vague when people inquire about new DNA kits and repeat customers do not get any discounts on new kits. If you want more people to buy your kit you need to be more direct and forthcoming with your answers. It looks like you are skirting the issues.

September 1, 2015, 1:15 pm

Thanks for your interest in Genographic. To answer your questions, many of the samples submitted in June and July were held at the lab for several weeks as we completed the transition from Geno 2.0 to NextGen. The only way we have to communicate with all Genographic participants (many of whom are not registered) is through our website.

73. George Jones
    Wales
    August 30, 2015, 2:10 pm

If you are a male and looking to broaden your understanding of R1b Welsh YDNA Haplogroups, please contact The Wales Discovery Group.

The R-L371 Wales Discovery Group’s purpose is to learn about ~60 novel R1b Y-SNPs found in men having ‘Ancient British’ ancestry. R-L371 men carry male YDNA from 5100 YBP / 3100BC in this Ancient Welsh haplogroup.

R-L371 is also known as: R1b1a2a1a2c1h at ISOGG; R1b1a1a1a1a1l at FTDNA; R1b-L371; L371; S300; R-17-14-10; Y-Position 18656470 with a mutation T>G.

Welsh surname include: Griffith, Jones, Reese, McKee, Davis, Pugh, etc.

The R-L371 Founder, “Adam”, had a genesis in NW Wales or NW England about 3100 BC. His ancient ancestral Y-SNPs are in his descendants now in Wales, England, Scotland, USA etc.

R-L371 males descend from ancestor or older “R1b” Haplogroups such as:

R-M269 / S3
    ~10200 YBP
    R-L11 / S127
    ~7800 YBP
    R-P312 / S116
    ~6000 YBP
    R-L21 / S145
    ~5800 YBP
    R-DF13 / S521
    ~5200 YBP SW France
    R-L371 / S300 Group
    ~5100 YBP (~3100BC) NW Wales / Scotland. 43 “Ancient Grp A” R-L371 Y-SNPs.

About .1% (1 in 1000) USA Y-DNA tested men at FTDNA are R-L371. In Wales R-L371 has about a 3.5% frequency (35 in 1000). This is 35 times more frequent than in the USA. Specific R-L371 names such as Griffith will skew higher.

Today, R-L371 is concentrated in Gwynedd county of NW Wales (see Meirionnydd in Gwynedd county). This area of NW Wales is also a Welsh hotspot for the Griffith and Jones clans.

R-L371 men have a 5 part & rare Y-STR Signature: DYS448=17; DYS456=14; DYS450=10; DYS617=13; DYS716=22 . Griffith > Jones has DYS650=20.

McKee men in Wales / Scotland / England can take a FREE YDNA test.

TEST at: http://goo.gl/D7Ydxc & EMAIL DYS450 results to jonesge@yahoo.com for US$10 reward

74. Lynn Cammack
    Tennessee
    August 30, 2015, 12:15 pm

Is the test a saliva or swab test? I’m unable to use a saliva test due to a medical condition, but would like to know my ancestry percentages.

September 1, 2015, 1:17 pm

This test is a swab test.

75. Don Butler
    Austin, Texas
    August 26, 2015, 7:07 pm

To reply simply that Next Generation will “give more information,” when asked what justifies expenditure of another $200, is a Donald Trump answer. Just what additional information will be provided? Please be specific. Thanks.

September 1, 2015, 1:20 pm

Thank you for your question. The additional information that will be available through NextGen is explained in the text of the blog. If you would like more detailed information, please feel free to contact our customer service team at genographic@ngs.org (preferred) or call 1-713-868-1807.

76. Jeff Goodwin
    August 25, 2015, 8:44 pm

I have just bought the Geno 2.0 Next Generation kit. I’m glad it is here and I’ve been waiting for it so I can get information on my maternal and paternal lines. I’ve taken another DNA test that just gives admixture.

Yes, scientist are just playing guessing games – just look at the math they use for DNA studies. The amount of data they have is extremely small compared to our world population. The point of this project is to give our support by participating, else it will take just that much longer for us to learn more about ourselves. Eventually it would be great to not have to guess…

77. Ahn Otuh
    US
    August 25, 2015, 5:32 pm

It doesn’t seem fair that I saved up, waited for 2.0 to come out and now you have a third version out.

78. Gilbert Ray
    Fayetteville, NC
    August 23, 2015, 4:34 pm

I have bought the Geno 2.0 Next Generation and want to combine it with the first part but can’t find a link to do so. I have looked at the FAQ’s and they tell me that I can do so but don’t tell me how to do it. Can this be done or do I need to set up an entirely different account?

August 25, 2015, 2:57 pm

We are working to update the linking capabilities for the new kit, and we hope to have it up and running soon. Thanks for your patience.

79. Mike
    Vancouver, BC
    August 23, 2015, 2:25 pm

Bravo on advancing your detection chip technology.

National Genographic will need to do a lot more to show skeptics like myself that they are better than a host of other commercial ‘genotyping’ and ‘genealogy’ services that lure customers to spend increasing amounts on dubious tests that are often based on extravagant and unverifiable claims.

80. Don Butler
    Austin, Texas
    August 23, 2015, 10:26 am

No discount for Geno 1.0 and 2.0 participants? Not sure it’s worth another $200 just for a refinement of prior test results. Please tell me how it is. Thanks

August 25, 2015, 3:01 pm

The NextGen is and enhanced test. It is a vast improvement from the Geno 1.0 experience, and it will also give more information than the Geno 2.0 test.

81. Kalino
    August 22, 2015, 1:46 am

I have sent my sample mid June 2015 and since than the status of my kit has not changed from “sample arrived to the lab” and it has been almost 10 weeks. Also when signing in I see new message about policy update. Does it concern the members who purchased Geno 2.0 test and sent samples in June 2015? When will I get my results and is it going to be updated to Next Generation 2.0 or I have to pay extra for that?

82. Miguel Vilar
    August 20, 2015, 11:13 am

Thanks for all of your questions and excitement for Genographic 2.0 Next Generation. Genographic 2.0 Next Generation is a completely new test that we are excited to offer. If you’d like to participate, you can purchase a new kit. Genographic 2.0 Next Generation samples are running on an enhanced platform that will test five times the number of DNA mutations than the Geno 2.0 test. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reach out to our customer service team directly at Genographic@ngs.org

83. Monica Prats
    Barcelona, Spain
    August 20, 2015, 8:02 am

I sent two Geno 2.0 kits (one for me and one for my son) in June 2015. The results have not come yet. I sure hope that these two samples are tested like the Geno NextGen so we can get as much information as possible. I would be very disappointed if not. Could you please confirm that?

And finally, I took also the 1.0 test. Are you considering offering a discount for us, “loyal participants” in the future? We would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

August 20, 2015, 11:18 am

Hello Monica,

If you have not gotten results yet, then your results are likely to be waiting to be run on the NextGen platform. The only way to find out is to login to the account and check the status. Thank you!

84. Maria
    Berkshire, UK
    August 19, 2015, 2:01 pm

I have submitted my DNA to the two Geno 1 and Geno 2; I would really appreciate a discount to continue with the new Geno: Next Generation and this amazing research.
    Please give us (those that submitted before) the opportunity to upgrade to the new version for a reduced price.

85. Linda Callanan
    August 19, 2015, 11:40 am

Do we have to pay to get another test or will new info be shared – I am part of J1B1A1A and my test results have very little information.

August 20, 2015, 11:25 am

Hello Linda, we are constantly looking to improve our stories and improve the software that calls the haplogroups, or branches on the tree. And those people that contribute their results and stories to science can help us in the process. In some cases the new technology will allow us to tell you more about a specific branch, but that would depend on your specific mutations and the haplogroup. You can see the latest mitochondrial DNA tree, from which Geno 2.0 and Geno Next Generation are based at http://www.phylotree.org.

86. George Stockman
    illinois
    August 19, 2015, 7:03 am

Wow! The comments I just read are disturbing. I guess I just wasted $212.

87. Paul
    Australia
    August 18, 2015, 9:36 pm

My sample was received a couple of weeks ago and I’m told the wait is 12-16 weeks. Will it be tested under the new format once processing starts?

August 20, 2015, 11:27 am

If you haven’t received results yet, visit us at http://www.genographic.com to check on the status of your kit. The status are often changing and the answer to your question is likely there.

88. Lynda J Hylander
    Hawaiʻi
    August 18, 2015, 7:11 pm

Iʻve already done Geno 2.0…. wonʻt my results be re-analyzed and updated with the next generation? That is what Ancestry DNA did with my results with them. Not really wanting to spend another $199…..

89. Toni Brown
    SE Virginia, USA
    August 18, 2015, 1:33 pm

I second the comments about whether we need to do the new test if we’ve already done Geno 2.0. Or, can our old results be reanalyzed for a discounted price if there is actually new analysis to be done? We all want to know!

August 20, 2015, 11:28 am

There are new analyses across all parts of the test: Hominin ancestry, Deep ancestry and Regional ancestry, so unfortunately a new test would have to be done.

90. Elizabeth Webster
    August 18, 2015, 1:01 pm

I submitted my Gen 2.0 kit just a few weeks ago and now there’s already a new one with far more links that my kit will give me? Come on, Nat Geo. Please don’t swindle us. If we’ve submitted a kit already isn’t it only fair to have our kit tested with these new finds?

August 20, 2015, 11:32 am

Elizabeth,

If your test was sent in, but you still haven’t received results, please check online on the status of the kit since those recently changed.

Thank you!

91. Martin Felipe Wohlgemuth
    Bogotá, D.C., Colombia
    August 16, 2015, 10:37 am

I submitted my DNA for GENO 2.0, should I submit it for GENO 2.0 next gen too?

92. Daniel Coberly
    August 14, 2015, 7:22 pm

I have participated in Geno 1 and Geno 2.0. Is there a discount for upgrading and/or for family orders (more than one person in the family), or Surname Projects?

93. Floyd Lindsey
    No. VA., USA
    August 14, 2015, 1:40 am

I am reluctant to do the Geno 2.0: Next Generation (Geno NextGen) test. It seems to me that I will get the same results as before.

I am an Afro-American who lives in the Washington, DC area of the US. I have taken both the original Genographic 1.0 and Genographic 2.0 tests. My results are E1b1a / E-U174 / E-U186 and L3d2b. These are typical results for many Afro-American men.

I am disappointed every time I get my test results, and I think I understand why. There is a serious lack of knowledge about the origins and migration paths of people who lived in Africa and traveled around the Mediterranean, throughout Arabia and the Middle East towards Asia.

How will Next Generation 2.0 provide me more useful information than before?