Celebrate DNA Day with Genographic! Join, Search and Learn

Join us at National Geographic in wishing every past, current, and future Genographic Project participant a Happy DNA Day!

Sixty-three years ago today a ground-breaking paper was published that introduced us to the double helix and revealed the structure of DNA, catapulting forward the field of genetics. The scientific world never looked back.

Eleven years ago this month, National Geographic launched the Genographic Project. This project brought the capability of personal genetics to the household and introduced everyone to the terms mitochondria, Y chromosome, and haplogroup. Nearly three-quarters of a million people have since joined the project, learning about their own haplogroup and their personal genetic story, helping us push science even further ahead. That science can now use your help!

Genographic 2.0 Next Generation
Genographic 2.0 Next Generation

A few months ago, we opened the Genographic Project database to researchers and genealogists to help us analyze the thousands of anonymous DNA results. The product of that research is now starting to come in.

So, if you haven’t already, please join the Genographic Project by purchasing a kit (on discount) and learning about your own genetic ancestry. And if haplogroup hacking makes you happy, click here to learn how you can also help us decode the Geno DNA database.

Through a new analytical method, IBM and the Genographic Project find evidence to support a southern route of human migration from Africa via the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait. Courtesy of National Geographic Maps.
Through a new analytical method, IBM and the Genographic Project found evidence to support a southern route of migration out of Africa. Courtesy of National Geographic Maps.

Thank you, and best wishes!

Comments

1. Irma
    Caledon, South Africa
    November 7, 4:00 am

Can the DNA testing be done for South Africans ? And if one does not have any information regarding one of the two parents, can it still be done ?

2. Paula Simmons
    Lakewood, Colorado USA
    October 30, 2:03 pm

My results are FWQBSA7338. I hoped that you might have more information since my original results. Or at least a copy of my original results as I have lost some of the pages.

3. walter sizemore
    CA
    October 21, 9:02 pm

Been researching my family tree. Was told by my brothers and sisters we were Native American. Would this test tell me that and who was my ancestors say going back to my 6th grandfather and his name possibly.

4. Tarrant Case
    England UK
    October 18, 5:27 pm

Can I get one for me and one for a relative?

5. Tarrant Case
    United Kingdom
    October 18, 5:24 pm

This all sounds very interesting but could I please see a sample of what I get?

6. Marie
    October 16, 4:04 pm

I would like to purchase a test for myself. Since I am female, would it be wiser to have my brother tested? Wouldn’t the results be same but more info due to Y chromosome? If I did the test myself, could I submit my father’s DNA to complete my full ancestry and at the same cost? And by the way, I cannot get the link to open to purchase a kit. How much are they?

7. Anita Harris
    October 2, 9:48 am

You sent me an email verifying receipt of my sample. I have my geographic project participant ID, username and password but have been unsuccessful in seeing my results. Please help me.

8. Joan K. Mazza
    Corinth, Texas
    September 26, 1:03 pm

Please advise…..sent DNA in July haven’t heard back. Is there a delay? Thank you

9. Joan K. Mazza
    September 26, 1:00 pm

I sent my DNA in July haven’t received anything back. Is there a delay? Please advise. Thank you

10. M Watson
    September 13, 3:52 am

Can I no longer order a kit. The link does not open.

11. Matthew Reynolds
    September 11, 1:07 pm

I’ve always been interested in finding out from where my family tree grew from. I’m going to participate in the Genographic Project. But, there is something that calls for a serious question that needs to be asked. …. At the bottom of the Geographic Project web page, there is a map depiction of an ancestral travel. The map goes no farther than the 15th century and relies on an unfounded theory of a land-bridge that is responsible for the population of The Americas. Why Is This? In my view, The Genographic Project sidesteps important issues like forced migration from slavery and wholesale genocide of indigenous peoples. Grant, you can’t follow the path of a lineage that did not exist due to genocide ,however, not to account for the abrupt end of a people or not account a peoples forced movement falls short of a true assessment of origins.

12. Ingrid Baer
    swe
    September 9, 12:04 pm

were to look for YDNA . no it’s for my son

13. Ada C
    Miami, Florida
    August 30, 8:13 am

I bought the geno 2.0 kit for several members of my family and now am waiting on my mom’s results. So exciting!

14. Nikki
    August 24, 9:09 am

So for a ridiculous amount of money you are offering us a chance to swap our cheeks with a cotton swab and we don’t even get mailed the results and you can’t chase women ancestry that’s a load of crap. I was very interested in this until now. What are you people actually trying to prove or do with this research? So disappointed.

15. Nikki
    August 23, 9:01 pm

August 31, 11:19 am

I’m sorry to read that you are disappointed. I am also unaware why anyone would think that we do not investigate women’s ancestry. We certainly do.
      To learn more about our long history of research, you and can research for and read our more than 60 peer-reviewed publications on global population genetics.

Thank you, Dr. Miguel Vilar

16. Keely
    Canada
    August 23, 11:47 am

I am into my 11th week of waiting for my results….is my DNA special??? lol
    I do appreciate the opportunity to contribute to this project..

August 31, 11:17 am

I’m sorry about the delay.
      Please contact our customer service and they should be able to tell you what happened, and when the results will be ready.

Best wishes, The Genographic Team

17. Judy Dolling
    Western Australia
    August 23, 10:13 am

My son received his DNA results but there was no Denisovan . I thought there would be as I have it in my DNA. So why doesn’t he have it?

August 31, 11:20 am

He doesn’t show Denisovan because it was removed from the new test, as we are reassessing those calculations. He should have a similar number to yours, and to that of his other parent.

Thank you, Dr. Miguel Vilar

18. Judy Dolling
    Australia
    August 23, 10:12 am

I have Denisovan DNA. Why doesn’t my son have it?

19. Judy Dolling
    Australia
    August 23, 10:11 am

I have Denisovan DNA. Why doesn’t my son have it?

20. marie Olson
    Juneau, Alaska USA
    August 22, 8:07 pm

my nephew Jonathan Williams sent in his ket and received
    an answer giving his percentages of his geneology. I did
    not receive mine because I am female that i needed his side
    of my father dna. my father has been gone for over forty
    years and so has my brother, Jonathan’s father. This is the
    closest I can get to the true chromosome. When will I receve
    my information.

August 31, 11:23 am

Being female should not delay your information in any way. What you would be missing is the Y-Chromosome information carried only by men.
      Your nephew Jonathan’s Y chomosome DNA should be the same as your father and brother’s was. Please check with customer service to see when your information should be available.

21. Carol Rowland
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    August 9, 12:42 pm

Hi, would you kindly explain how the results of your DNA testing differs from other organizations such as Ancestry.caDNA and FamilyTreeDNA. I want to get the most informative and comprehensive results about my DNA for genealogical research considering each of my parent’s lineage as well.
    Thank you.
    Carol Rowland

22. bernard Hobach
    Canonsburg, PA.
    August 7, 4:59 pm

Looking forward to the results. The site is very interesting. thank you.

23. Mike Deangelo
    US
    August 4, 8:39 pm

Porcessing seems very slow. I sent my swaps 2 weeks ago and they still show up as not yet received or in process of registration.

24. Abraham
    Kerala, south india
    August 1, 9:07 am

Few countries in the world could match India in genetic diversity, linguistic profusion and ethnic variety. With genomic evidence suggesting earlier migration of humans towards India than thought before, India should ideally figure as the region with the most potential to trace migratory trends and routes with the greatest accuracy. Please establish your unit in India early.

August 31, 11:24 am

Yes, India is a very important part of the world to learn about early human migrations out of Africa. We currently have several scientists working in different parts of India on Genographic or related projects.

Thank you, Dr. Miguel Vilar

25. Karen Ramirez
    July 27, 3:02 pm

I am very frustrated. I bought the Geno 2.0 kit and received notification that it was received. After an amount of time, I clicked on results and got a messages saying that the results were not available, so I assumed that it would take additional time. I logged on to this site yesterday or the day before, and now I get this information about the new test, and I cannot even log onto my own registered member site to check the status and/or results of the kit I already paid for. Does anyone know how I can resolve this dilemma?

26. Sukhi
    July 26, 3:18 am

I am confident there is something interesting in my molecular ancestral genealogy as well as my own personal genetics. I cannot afford the price of the kit but I would like to see if you will donate. I have been a reader since the mid-nineties when my half-brother’s grandmother subscribed me to the magazine. I would like one urgently, but I am incapable of making the purchase. Please advise. -S

27. Vish
    July 25, 2:02 pm

Can you please tell me how much indepth information I can get it from this. Is it possible to get 10+ generations past ancestral information like which exact (small village / city) they rooted in India(like may be a remote small village) and which exact subdivision group they belong too.

August 31, 11:27 am

We do not show ancestry to small remote villages, unfortunately. And most of what we can tell you about your mixed ancestry is going back about six generations. Your deep maternal and paternal lineages (haplogroups) however, go back thousands of years.

Best, The Geno Team

28. Juju Basu
    July 24, 10:50 pm

How about including India?

August 31, 11:25 am

India is included throughout the project.

29. Juju Basu
    India
    July 24, 10:49 pm

How about opening this up to India as well?

30. Mariana
    Buenos aires, argentina
    July 22, 8:25 pm

I would LoVe todo be part of your project, but is really expensive for us…any suggest? My mum wants to do it to, she’s retired teacher, what about the discount for them?

August 31, 11:29 am

There is an educator discount your mother can use, and we are also very interested in growing the project in South America.
      However, we would have to find a laboratory suitable to run tens of thousands of DNA samples each month. That is the difficult part of the proposition.

Best, The Geno Team

31. Emre
    Sakarya, Turkey
    July 21, 10:19 pm

You put even the Luxembourg to the list but you didn’t Turkey? How should I buy it now?

August 31, 11:31 am

You can buy the kit online at http://www.genographic.com. As far as Turkey goes, we have a whole region devoted to Asia Minor, which is predominantly the region of Turkey.

32. Alfredo Kuri
    Mexico
    July 20, 4:59 pm

I tried to mail the package with the DNA samples using a carrier, but I was informed at the DHL office that US Customs refuse packages from abroad that contain any type of liquid into the US, regardless of the amount of liquid (in this case a few drops). I will use a friend to mail it within the US, but wanted to let you know this restriction.

August 31, 11:31 am

Thank you for letting us know.

33. Leo A Bessette
    Pawtucket, R. I. USA
    July 6, 3:47 pm

I sent my kit in a few weeks ago and feel like a youngster that can’t wait for the results. I am 87 years of age.
    Thanks for doing a wonderful thing. Leo B

August 31, 11:32 am

You are welcome. Thank you for you enthusiasm and support.

Best, The Geno Team

34. Tara Wenzel
    Hanover, PA USA
    July 3, 5:06 pm

My husband took the test years ago when only one side of the parental genes were tested. My understanding is now both sides are now accounted for in the enhanced version. Is this correct, and if so, can my husband use the enhanced kit to further his results?

August 31, 11:32 am

Yes, using the new kit would enhance his results significantly.

Best, The Geno Team

35. Jenny Carolina
    Bogotà, Colombia
    July 1, 2:56 am

I wonder if this kit is available for purchase in Colombia since the purchase link does not allow me to see, and if you have some kind of discount timeout results . thank you very much ‘m really interested in Have This study along with my family

August 31, 11:33 am

Hola Jenny,

Yes, it can be purchase internationally. If you can’t do it online, contact our Customer Service team by phone or email.

36. Adrian
    Indonesia
    June 29, 11:19 am

Do The Geno 2,0 NG use a high resolution DNA Test for their participant? I mean do the Geno 2,0 NG use an mtDNA Testing which it’s in the same level to an FTDNA mtFullsequence, the highest resolution for an mtDNA Test include an HVR1, HVR2 and Coding Region, about 16.578 NP’s? Do the Geno 2,0 NG use a “lower resolution version” for an FTDNA Big Y Testing method? I know the Geno 2,0 and Geno NG didn’t take an STR’s Testing, The Geno 1st phrase Paternal Y DNA Test did it. Or the Geno 2,0 NG use a similar resolution with an FTDNA – Family Finder DNA Testing for their partisipants Autosomal World Region Test?
    I asked these questions because i must transfered to the FTDNA after i received my cousins Geno 2,0 NG Test Results and i must paid $ 35 for an Autosomal World Region to allowed me to download my cousins Raw DNA Results.
    I saw my cousins raw mtDNA Results and i thougt his reports were similar with my FTDNA mtFullsequence DNA results. Am i correct?……….Or not?

37. j kraft
    key west fl. usa
    June 28, 12:36 pm

Will this service provide info fro all over the world?

38. j kraft
    June 28, 12:34 pm

Will this provide information from all over the wold?

39. Nadine
    June 28, 9:46 am

What would this test tell an adopted person?

40. Pat Davis
    New Orleans, La.
    June 27, 2:59 pm

Just ordered the kit! So excited!

41. Annette Gallner
    Germany
    June 26, 3:33 pm

I am a woman. Is it also possible to use the kit or would it be better to ask my brother? When my brother and my husband (or me and my husband) will use the kit, will I learn something about the way of my children?
    Which information will I get for 150 $? For example, will I know then if my anchors went from Afrika to Asia, Alaska or Philippines before they come to Germany? Or if some of my anchors has been in USA, China or somewhere else? Can you see my way 100 000 years along?

42. stephanie DeGraff
    Florida
    June 23, 5:44 pm

How are the results presented? Will it be easy to read and figure out?

43. Priness
    Hawaii
    June 16, 8:16 pm

I just ordered mine and I absolutely can’t wait for it to come in! My mother was adopted and all records were lost in a fire in the 1940’s so there is no information at all. We think by her coloring she was probably English or German but it will be so nice to find out for sure.

44. Felicia
    Pittsburg CA
    June 12, 12:20 pm

It’s all about priority, we all spend money on crap we don’t need. I know myself, I am guilty, but I can squeeze $150. Awesome project and worth the $150 to know for me. For a School project you can do a class fund raiser. Those who are interested will raise the funds. At least the class will get to share the experience

45. Bob Maurice
    Texas
    May 29, 6:27 pm

This is not cheap but plenty of “poor” people spend more on tattoos and other discretionary expenses. It depends on what is important to you. Nothing is ever free, someone has to pay for it. Yeah, I think more than 10% of the population can do this if they really wanted to.

46. Manlio Yllades
    Mexico
    May 12, 3:16 pm

I tried to buy the kit but couldn’t find Mexico in the list of countries. Isn’t it possible to buy it from here? 🙁

June 20, 2:22 pm

Manlio,

Contact our customer service by email and they may be able to help you.

47. Cj
    North dakota
    May 8, 1:59 pm

I just finished one branch of my family on my dad’s side..primarily European (french) but also some native american (huron,ojibwe,mikmaq) in the 1600s and 1700s. Don’t know if dna test could trace it or not..but mom’s side shows scandinavian (swede,norwegian) European (german) and UK (ireland,scotland, england) very interesting..I often wonder with a lot of German on my mom’s side if I would find ashkenazi jew

48. keki unwalla
    mumbai, india
    May 5, 12:54 am

i understand that these tests are not available in india. can i order the kit through an us address?

June 20, 2:23 pm

Yes, you can. Contact our customer service group for help with this.

49. Stephen
    Salem, Oregon
    May 4, 7:52 pm

My wife and I prioritized our expenses and purchased the new test. We had good experience with 1.0 and 2.0 and were very happy with the results.

The test is expensive, but look at what lab tests cost at the hospital.

I told my four kids, if you prioritize you can pay for what you want. There are only two other ways that I know of to ‘create’ money. Generate more income or cut expenses. The harsh reality of life.

50. Gregorio Gonzalez
    USA, Texas
    May 4, 11:20 am

I am an educator in Texas. I am fascinated with history. I wonder what it would be like to offer this project at the beginning of my history class as a form of motivation and to show interest. But, at $150 per student in a lower social economic status community, it would be impossible to achieve. Any recommendations?

June 20, 2:23 pm

Gregorio,

There are Educator discounts. Go to our website and search under teachers/educators.

The Geno Team

51. Deborah Stephenson
    Missouri, USA
    May 1, 10:43 pm

This is a wonderful project in concept and it may be interesting to see how the ancestry of so many wealthy people around the world pans out. However, it is too bad the 90% or so of the rest of us cannot afford to participate simply because we cannot afford $150 for the test. When this test is free to all, we may learn something worth knowing.

52. james a sanders
    usa,texas
    April 30, 11:53 pm

My haplogroup is r1b (r1b1a2) rm-269. Had it done in family tree . Houston Texas 2014.

53. Shirley M. Vega
    Burbank, Ca. 91506
    April 26, 9:48 pm

Where do I get the kit and how much is it??

54. Adrian
    Indonesia
    April 26, 5:25 pm

Good Luck, Dr Miguel Vilar. I’m, Adrian Yohanes Purnomo from Surabaya – East Java – Indonesia, will support your project and all Scientist and Geneticist in the world. Spead this Science to eliminate ‘Multiregional Human Migrations” theory…. 🙂

June 20, 2:25 pm

Thank you for your note, and for your words of support.
      Contact me by email at your convenience and we can talk more.

55. Pamela Cleary
    Omaha, NE
    April 26, 11:32 am

What is the cost to purchase your discounted kit?

June 20, 2:25 pm

The sale price is $150 at this moment.

56. CAROL FENDLEY
    Fort Mill, SC
    April 26, 11:21 am

I saw on TV where you could receive swabs for genealogical
    research. I would like to receive the swab and directions in mail to find out my lineage. I was adopted in 1956 and have only been told that my birth mother was Native American and my birth father was Dutch. I have no living relatives that know anything about my past/original family. I am a Sr. Citizen and would very much like to know this information so I could pass on to my children. Please advise asap. I understood from TV show that this testing is free. Please reply asap.
    C Fendley

57. Kendra Korte
    Nottingham, UK
    April 25, 4:57 pm

I was very frustrated to find that I could not order this kit online from the UK as a gift for my father in the United States – there was no way to change the country of the billing address. I can’t help but wonder how many other people want to order this internationally but are prevented from doing so. I was able to order by phone (a lovely woman named Melissa helped me) but trying to pay internationally online – even when shipping to the UK – was incredibly frustrating. If this hadn’t been a gift for my father, I would have given up.

Also, having the “submit comment” button above the captcha is really annoying.