Standing With Standing Rock and the Right to Clean Water

By Jon Waterhouse and Mary Marshall

Examine the protests over construction of the Dakota Access pipeline with an objective mind (links below, basic facts here) and you’ll arrive at the conclusion that the Native Americans gathered at Standing Rock care—and shouldn’t we all.

The threat at Standing Rock is not lack of oil or loss of jobs.

The threat is to the one element that none—yes, none—of us can live without: WATER.

(Photo by Mary Marshall)
Protecting clean water isn’t about scenery. It’s about basic human rights. (Photo by Mary Marshall)

I realize that for most readers this is not “in your backyard,” but shouldn’t you care enough to support those at Standing Rock to protect something this vital, this important to us all?

The United Nations has recognized the human right to clean water.

Ask yourself what will it take for you to engage in the protection of this resource that makes your latte, fills your pool, allows for fishing and your morning shower, is a major ingredient in beer and wine, beauty products, your supplements and medications, vital to agriculture and many forms of manufacturing … and on and on?

What will it take?

Don’t leave the Native Americans to carry this by themselves.

Look around, ask yourself, ask your friends: What will it take and when will we engage?

Standing Rock Coverage From Across the Web

Dakota Access Pipeline: What You Need to Know (Nat Geo Education Blog)

Topic Page From Indian Country Today

Why is the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe trying to stop a pipeline? (Christian Science Monitor)

Showdown over oil pipeline becomes a national movement for Native Americans (Washington Post)

A Pipeline Fight and America’s Dark Past (New Yorker)

Taking a Stand at Standing Rock (New York Times)

MSNBC:

Comments

1. Susan Thomas
    September 9, 7:23 pm

Water is life. I stand with all those trying to protect it.

2. jack shimano
    canada
    September 9, 7:03 pm

we are ALL stewards of the land-not to be raped for immediate profit-cudos to natives standing up to private carpet baggeers

3. Melanie Rowan
    Port Elgin, ontario
    September 9, 7:14 am

My Father , rest in peace, taught m to have a deep love and Respect for How Canada was before we raped her, and made bad blood with those who were here. This is a great time, in The Spirit Of the Curly Horses, let’s pray for the best today Sept 9, 2016 in court, tbig oil getting tuned in

4. Melanie Rowan
    Port elgin
    September 9, 7:09 am

I stand with the Sioux, I’d rather have water to drink than a fossil fuel fire breathing dragon. I SPEAK FOR MY father Robert John Rowan who raised me to have a deep longing fora change and deep respect for Mother Earth and History. IM SO PROUD OF MY mother for teaching me how to learn history, one book at time. WE OWE DEBT TO SIOUX for breaking pro ise, and starving them back to USA
    Good luck today, Sept 9. 2016!

5. June Donenfeld
    September 9, 12:41 am

I stand as well. The Native Americans are carrying a burden that is too heavy for they alone to bear–we are ALL affected by this, near and far. Water is a right, for all, not a privilege, and we forget this at our peril.

6. Will Weisman
    Los Angeles, CA
    September 8, 11:22 pm

I stand with the brave individuals at standing rock and support their right to clean water.

7. Heidi Kleinmaus
    September 7, 8:35 pm

I stand with this nation’s original environmentalists at Standing Rock for the right to clean water!